Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want Dusk and Ollie to swim in my pool for the excercise. They already love fetch, but I like to keep things interesting. And fetching in the pool would add a new twist. Plus this is SUCH a better workout than road working them.

Ollie loves to jump in ponds, but for some reason steers clear of the pool. And Dusk doesn't even want his feet wet, let alone his whole body. Is there any way I can introduce them to swimming while keeping it fun, and not scaring them half to death?:eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I saw a few dog toys at Petco that float. Perhaps you could get them used to fetching them on land and then work with them in the shallow area of the pool. If that is too frightning, maybe a kiddie pool with 1 inch of water to start.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What breeds of dogs are these? Some dogs are not swimming dogs and actually shouldn't be swimming to begin with.
Dobermans. Do you meana physical reason why they shouldn't swim? I doubt thats an issue with them.

I saw a few dog toys at Petco that float. Perhaps you could get them used to fetching them on land and then work with them in the shallow area of the pool. If that is too frightning, maybe a kiddie pool with 1 inch of water to start.
I tried to throw in a couple of tennis bowls. They looked at me like I was insane. I think I might need to get in the pool and carry a dog in. It might at least work with Ollie, since she has swam in ponds before.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It may take some time (or they may find they actually enjoy it) I lived near the beach when I was a child with my Samoyed. The first time we went to the beach together, he didn't know what to make of the sand and the gentle waves were a bit strange. We did walk into the water on leash and he looked terrified. His doggy paddles kicked in as if natural.... a quick strong, left right left right. I kept talking to him positively and he did follow me around in the watter. It took me a few times, maybe about a month, before he was confident enough to enjoy it.... well not too excitely though. Probably the Nordic breed inside of him didn't find it natural.... ?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Dobermans. Do you meana physical reason why they shouldn't swim? I doubt thats an issue with them.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I've got a basset for instance who has no business swimming because of his deep chest. There are some other breeds who don't belong in the water for other reasons. Doberman's aren't one of them though.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I really want Dusk and Ollie to swim in my pool for the excercise. They already love fetch, but I like to keep things interesting. And fetching in the pool would add a new twist. Plus this is SUCH a better workout than road working them.

Ollie loves to jump in ponds, but for some reason steers clear of the pool. And Dusk doesn't even want his feet wet, let alone his whole body. Is there any way I can introduce them to swimming while keeping it fun, and not scaring them half to death?:eek:
How old are these 2 rascals. Carrying dog in is not bad as it's a lot better than throwing in. Is this 1st season with pool or have they been around pool before and just avoiding it. I myself would always prefer dog to make the moves themselves. People in pool having fun ignoring dogs in hot weather is as good as anything if the dogs are so inclined. This is not to say that hot dogs and other stuff does not work, all can be tried I just don't like any force (like pulling or throwing dogs in) used as even that could work but it also could be disatrous and what you want may not be what you get(fear). Good luck and be patient.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Many very good swimmers (my Irish setter and black lab come to mind) would not jump into a pool, where there is no obvious avenue of escape. Either one would start whining when they get within a mile of a lake and would rather swim than eat.

I wondered if Molly was a swimmer, since she refuses to jump into the large stock tank where Esther spends half her time when it's warm out. But, to my dismay, she has crossed both of the rivers in Two Rivers without adult supervision (and possibly within an hour of eating.)

Boats, docks and pools are a special problem for dogs. Beaches are a much more gentle introduction to the joys of aquatic living.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
How old are these 2 rascals.
Dusk is 2 and 1/2, Ollie is 16 months. Ollies loves water. She literaly flew into a pond at a Houston dog park on vacation. Unfortunalty, it was 40 degrees outside, so that offically ended our dog park fun for the day. No one wants a frost bitten doberman.;)

Dusk stays clear of all water. But they are used to walking around the pool, even when I am swimming laps. They have just never been inclined to jump in.

Boats, docks and pools are a special problem for dogs. Beaches are a much more gentle introduction to the joys of aquatic living.
I just don't live near any beaches. I could try to search out a good pond. And maybe throw tennis balls near the shallow end and move up to further out.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Funny story. We had a client come in with his black lab. Great dog very sweet. He told us that he must have the only lab in the world that doesn't swim. He told us that he took her into the pool with him held her up in the water for a little while and let go. She sunk to the bottom of the pool stood there (on the bottom) looking at him. So he figured it was just a fluke so he tried again and again she just sunk, stood there and looked at him like "what is wrong with you?'
He also said that when they go to the shore in the summer she backs up away from the waves because she doesn't want to get her feet wet! She is such a Diva. lol (She would probably make him retrieve the ducks too.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts