Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the night sometime my dog got a hold of some chicken bones and remains of a chicken we cooked last night. We aren't quite sure how, but we need help now. He kept waking us up in the middle of the night to be let out 3 times, when normally it is only one time per night to go to the bathroom. When we woke up, he had thrown up a lot outside. We immediately became worried, and we went over to him.
As of now, he has been offered some cooked soft rice, as that has been reccomended to cushion any bones remaining in his digestive tracks. We cannot access a vet for a few hours, so I need to know what to do in the mean time. He is very lethargic, he wont lie down, and he walks very slowly. He is getting better at drinking water, but had not yet accepted any food. Slowly, he seems to become less lethargic, as right now he is walking around in the backyard with more ease. He has not passed any stool yet.
If it helps, he is a 13 year old mutt, who has not yet retired, per say. He has always been healthy, never had any problems digesting anything. He is extremely active, and goes on 2-3 walks per day. He even jumps (quite happily) over 2+ foot jumps when the kids ask him to. I really need to know if there is anything else I can do to make him comfortable until we can get to a vet. If you need any more information, I will try to give it to you. Thank you ahead of time!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd take him to the E vet, for X rays. A cooked bone can splinter and cause serious problems. You may not know of the problem until it is too late.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts