Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....
My sister is single and lives alone. She has a 3 yr old min pin/jrt named Marley. Marley has never been spayed bc she basically lives in my sisters house....she does not go out much, other than on her run line outside, or to my house very occasionally. Also, my sister is pretty much broke most of the time, she works hard, just doesnt earn much.

A couple months ago, my sister ended up working a couple double shifts in a row unexpectedly, so she called her grown daughter to run to her house and let marley out, BUT to only take her out on a leash, bc she'd just been in heat. Apparently, her daughter didnt listen and just let her out, and she ended up tangling up with another dog in the trailer park who was out loose. My niece did not tell my sister this had happened.

Unaware that she could be pregnant, my sister didnt pick up on any signs until just recently, and her daughter admitted to it. Marley appears to be due in the next week or so.

She is worried for her dog, she's unsure of what to do as far as the birthing, or what needs to be done to keep the dog and pups safe. My sister is older, has no computer and probably couldnt turn it on even if she had one. She's contacted a vet (her sons girlfriends grandfather) to ask questions of, and is hoping he'll agree to check Marley out for a discounted price....but he hasnt gotten back to her yet.

With that long explanation out of the way....is there anything I can help her do to get ready? Is there anything that needs to be bought/set up? Anything in particular she needs to know, or worrisome signs to be aware of?

I have a package of potty pads that I bought for zoey but then didnt use...I was thinking those might be helpful for the mess.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelping.htm

That site has a lot of info, you can have your sister over to read it or print it out or explain it to her. Because it's likely a one time litter (and your sister will know to spay her afterwards) you can use a large box for the puppies. That website also has lots of information on raising the pups as well.

Another option would be to contact some of the local rescues and see if they'd help, possibly raise the litter and place the pups? Agree to let your sister 'adopt' Marley afterwards when she's been spayed? I know the one rescue here was open to the idea of doing that, just to make sure the pups were ok, had vet care if needed and the mom was spayed. Your sister could run into some expensive bills if anything goes wrong, so that might be an idea to check and see. Depending on her comfort level, it may be possible to spay her too but that depends on the area, the vets and your sister.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Does your sister actually know how far along she is or how many puppies there are? Is it too late for an e-spay?

I would suggest your sister contact a rescue group and beg for assistance.

Not good. Not good at all... :/

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Oh no. What a terrible situation. Makes me OK with being so anal about how handles my dogs (...me, lol) I second applying for care credit and looking up threads on here about whelping boxes and such. If she works a lot can you help watching the puppies in shifts for her at all?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Any info on the father, if the bitch is small and the dog much bigger this can lead to massive problems during the whelping! In that case she really needs a vet to see before the whelping starts to make a judgement about size, possible problems etc. As for the 'grown daughter' who didn't tell her mother what had happened, I hope she learns that some mistakes get bigger by trying to hide them!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, yes, my sister is about ready to kick her daughters butt. One would think a 26 yr old woman would be capable of just following the simple directions of "take dog out on leash" but apparently not. According to my niece the daddy dog is the min pin who lives a few doors down. I was glad to hear that, at least its not some terrible combination, like min pin/jrt/german shepherd!:)

Working on the assumption that a pregnancy lasts 63 days, Marley should be due on or about the 20th, next Thursday.

Im going to check out the links given and print them out for her. I would help watch the puppies if needed. So will my sisters son (much more responsible than his older sister) and his girlfriend.

There are family members and close friends already lining up for a "little Marley" (she really is a nice little dog). Im going to talk to her about seeing if those who want a puppy will put some money down on it, so she can use that money to go toward the coming costs. I'll ask her about carecredit....I dont know if she'd be approved, she has really bad credit history....but I do know that she would do about anything for her dog, even if that included not eating herself or pawning something to get money for her. I wish I was in a position to help out financially, but Im just not.

This has been a very good lesson for my own kids, explaining that this is exactly why I was so crazy about rules when my yorkie was recently in heat!!! I wouldnt even let my kids take her for a walk, I was so nervous. I will be so glad once she is spayed this winter. Its an awful lot of responsibility.

Thanks for the help. And now that the situation is here, I have to admit that I am looking forward, in a way, to seeing the puppies, my kids and I have never seen an animal that little before. Marley is a cute dog, I have to imagine her pups will also be:)

I think that Marley will be a good mama dog. Last yr my nephew brought home a little baby kitty and she mothered it for all she was worth. Now my sister has a dog and a cat who thinks shes a dog. She is also the kind of dog who has a bunch of little stuffed animals that she carries in her mouth, lines up in her bed and sleeps with:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theyre here!! Marley had two puppies just a little while ago. My sister doesnt know yet!! she's still at work and her kids have been taking turns staying with marley the last few days just in case. She has two puppies, one that looks just like her and one is kind of gray colored fur.
I asked the kids if she ate the placenta and they are looking all over and cant find it.
She's nursing but my niece said she seems nervous and kind of scared. But thats typical for marley, she is the type of dog who doesnt like new social situations....she likes people and dogs, jsut not in big amounts and not new places, or she gets shaky or hides.
I got a pic on my phone and OMG, they are so cute and little:)
My nephews gf's grandpa is a local vet, and he agreed to check her over and make sure everything is ok. He's a very nice guy:)

Im so glad it all went well. I talked to my sis last night and she has been so nervous for marley.

Im going to try to take my kids over this weekend to see them and we'll get pics, I'll try to get some up.

My gosh, Im not terribly emotional but Im about to cry. :) thanks for the support and help.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Awwe.......so glad it all went well. Hope the vet gets there and they are all fine. :) Will be waiting for pics too!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im petitioning to name Marley's puppies Bob and Ziggy.:)

I should probably ask TWAB, first though, lol.

I think my sister is going to have a very hard time when the time comes to let the puppies go to new homes.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We went to see them last night and about died. I have never seen a living animal so small. One looks exactly like Marley, same marking and all, just miniature, and you cant believe how adorable. The other one is the color of root beer when you pour it on vanilla ice cream. Upon seeing them, my youngest sons eyes started to glisten and he immediately offered my sister all the money in his wallet, and indeed, all the money he could possibly get his hands on for the next year, if she would let him buy one:) It was too sweet.
It is so funny to see a living creature so tiny, but perfect, teeny tiny nails, and paws, and EARs (OMG, the little EARS!).
I know people say dogs dont smile, but Marley does. And yesterday she would lean in and lick the pups, and look back at us with soft eyes and a smile.

TWAB, come on, side with me. Marley was named for Bob Marley, and his son is named Ziggy. The little root beer colored pup totally looks like a Ziggy. My niece wants to call one Scotia, which is dumb, bc the cat is named Nova.

My sisters ex husband (and they are good friends) wanted one of the pups, bc his elderly dog is likely to be put down soon. But, his work hours keep him gone so often, my sister isnt comfortable letting him have the pup. I think they have kind of agreed that if she will keep the pup at her house for him, and he gets frequent "visitation", he will pay for food and vet bills.:)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
We went to see them last night and about died. I have never seen a living animal so small. One looks exactly like Marley, same marking and all, just miniature, and you cant believe how adorable. The other one is the color of root beer when you pour it on vanilla ice cream. Upon seeing them, my youngest sons eyes started to glisten and he immediately offered my sister all the money in his wallet, and indeed, all the money he could possibly get his hands on for the next year, if she would let him buy one:) It was too sweet.
It is so funny to see a living creature so tiny, but perfect, teeny tiny nails, and paws, and EARs (OMG, the little EARS!).
I know people say dogs dont smile, but Marley does. And yesterday she would lean in and lick the pups, and look back at us with soft eyes and a smile.

TWAB, come on, side with me. Marley was named for Bob Marley, and his son is named Ziggy. The little root beer colored pup totally looks like a Ziggy. My niece wants to call one Scotia, which is dumb, bc the cat is named Nova.

My sisters ex husband (and they are good friends) wanted one of the pups, bc his elderly dog is likely to be put down soon. But, his work hours keep him gone so often, my sister isnt comfortable letting him have the pup. I think they have kind of agreed that if she will keep the pup at her house for him, and he gets frequent "visitation", he will pay for food and vet bills.:)

Heavens.......at that rate maybe you should take the last one and they will still be in the family......but have them all neutered for goodness sakes! :) They are boys? :)

EDIT: I was thinking about the rootbeer colored pup. You could call him "Barq's" :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts