Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm currently considering a Support Dog. For the following reasons... I have terrible anxeities and I am having bouts of wooziness that I can't really explain - I'm on antibiotics, and I have a congential heart defect caused by my 22.Q Deletion Syndrome, but I dont know if it's my heart, my head, or my sinuses!

My anxeities pressure me when I'm at home alone and my father is out drinking with his friends late at night working, I'm afraid he might be getting into something he shoudlnt, or he might get hurt while driving home. I might not ever see him again T_T.

My mom is worried about the family finacial crsis that we're having with paying off the IRS and we're owing money and my parents have to loan money to them via-their-retirement-account. BECAUSE mom and dad bought a piece of land a few years back and it just didnt work out - we cant afford to build on it and we dont want to build on it so we now have to owe money to get rid of it once and for all. *_*"

My anxeities are -

My dad getting hurt when coming home from the bar.

Myself getting hurt while in my sleep, dying and never waking up and/or somehow not being able to get to my parents on time (as my parents are across the house and they cant hear me screaming).

Falling down due to my wooziness/dizness.

Passing out suddenly.

Noises freak me out all the time - it could be something falling and getting hurt, broken, and not just an intruder but just something getting hurt/damaged like just the simplest noise getting bothered really makes me jumpy.

My hamsters getting hurt somehow when I have my back turned...

And another thing is, I'm terrifed to go into some public areas like Wal-Mart because they have huge crowds and I cant deal with crowds. Especially lately because of my wooziness.

I have three dogs already. If I DO get a Support Dog it wouldnt be anytime soon - we havent (my mom and I) mentioned it to my dad yet, but I'm still iffy about the whole thing. I contacted a Goldendoodle Breeder in Sarasota and she said she can give me a discount for the fact I have special needs and this is going to be a special occasion.

So if I get a dog I might consider her as an option. But the dog will still be 1,000$ and that's still a bit too much...

I just dont know - I want the support do to be there for me in times like, when I'm thinking of dying and i'm asleep, and eventually needing the dog to go wake up my parents. Thats what i need him/her for; nothing like opening doors cause I'm in a wheelchair cause I'm not anything drastic like that.

I really want as many opinions on this as possible to know if this is a good idea... I'm really considering this and this would be over my HOA's limit for dogs, but I think they'd let us have another dog because it's a therapy dog. We'd have to also talk with the HOA...

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you need an Emotional Support Animal, the HOA has to allow it if your doctor agrees, but the dog will not get public access (like Walmart). If you need a Service Dog, it needs to be trained to do things to mitigate your disability, besides basic being-in-public manners.

But make sure you really can handle another dog. If the dog is not already trained it could just add more stress to your life :/.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a service dog, and have had several( retired) over the years. I have sleep apnea and he wakes me when I stop breathing. I also have PTSD, and vertigo due to migraines. He helps tremendously with all of my disabilities. He can brace during a vertigo spell, he can block my body on command in crowds, and is my eyes and ears while at a bank machine, watching my back and alerting me if someone approaches and if I am having a panic attack, he can redirect me.,and of course the waking me during apnea . He was trained from the time he was a pup, by myself, and a professional trainer. He has been through the PAT (public access testing) and is perfectly behaved in public. Service Dogs take a lot of training so you must start early. And it takes at least 1.5-2 years before they are suitable to work . Good luck and do your research!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like something that I need. And honestly I need a lot of talk to convince my parents. I just might show them your post so that way I can talk them into it somehow... OuO

·
Registered
24 Posts
I consider what you have written and I can say with certainty that you need counselling. Your level of fear is is disabling and having a support dog is not going to remove those fears and it is not intended as a replacement for treatment.

Steps you can take to reduce your fears:
Talk to you father about his drinking and bar hoping
Give away the hamsters. This will have with your sinus issues

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My father only goes to one pub, that has been his hangout for years. He goes there for about oh i dont know, about an hour or about thirty minutes? I'm not saying he bar-hops. So dont insult my father. I do wish he'd stop going, and he'd stop smoking especially. Plus, for your information - I'm not getting rid of my hamsters. They are staying. They are members of my family just as much as they are my dogs or a cat would be. I dont trust anyone else to take care of them with the extensive amount of care I put into them and the quality of life I give them - I just dont trust that with anyone else.

I already have two therapists, and I've had them for years as well. I dont think I'm going to get a Support Dog as my finacial state isnt stable enough to get one. High sugary sodas and staying up all night isnt good for me, so thank you I understand things like THAT and my mom has pointed it out for me that I need to stop those habits - I havent had a soda yet this morning so I am doing good. I dont plan on having a soda all day, or tomorrow, or the next.

I really hope I can nip this in the bud without having to get something as drastic as a Support Dog. But if worst comes to worst and my wooziness really does get dangerous and my fears get to a panic, I'll consider it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts