Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So I've got a 4 1/2 month old german shepherd. Previous to deciding to get Eli I obviously did research on the breed and the biggest health problems to come up were joint related (i.e. hip dysplasia). I was curious to know if there were any specific supplements one would recommend to help keep Eli's hips and joints as healthy as possible, especially considering he's only 4 1/2 months old.

Obviously I would address this information to my vet before making a purchase, but I was curious to know if anybody has had any experience with supplements and when/how they started them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Fish oil is generally considered a good joint supplement. I use that for my dog, but it's because he has allergies and my vet recommended it to reduce inflammation and help calm his itchy skin, in addition to medication. It has the additional benefit of improving coat quality. I use Omegease, purchased on Amazon.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There are a lot of very good supplements available and people (on this forum) have narrowed it
down to what works best for their dogs.

I have giant dogs and find that Green Lipped Mussel works best for them.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I think some people go too crazy with supplements, especially with pups, but I do think some are important.

I currently give Glycoflex I to my 8 year old yorkie. He is active still and I have noticed it helps him (i.e. he can get stiff sometimes after laying down for a while) and there has been less of that.

He also doesn't have the best teeth (like a lot of small dogs) so I like to give a dental supplement sprinkled over food. I just ordered more last night, I've been out for a while and have noticed a huge difference... I like ProDen PlaqueOff and Vetriscience Perio. I just sprinkle it on top of their food and he seems to really like it.

I *just* ordered Vetriscience Omega 3, 6, 9 so haven't tried it yet. Vet suggested it when she thought she may have heard a heart murmur but we haven't done the echo yet (no symptoms) and I figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
So Manna & Vitae got fish oil and raw fish as pups and lots of raw chicken feet / turkey feet cause those are naturally good for joints (Glucosamine and chrondrin and I can't spell lol)

Now....the same thing and I need to pick up chicken feet soon

They're also on a raw diet so that kinda helped

1 - 5 of 5 Posts