Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a limited ingredient food that Sasha, 4 months, can eat while we rule out allergies. If all I can find are adult maintenance foods, are there things I can supplement her diet with to ensure she gets what she needs as a large breed puppy?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
A lot of people use adult foods for large breed pups. It helps them to grow slower and steadier. No supplementing necessary.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Don't worry about her getting what she needs, puppy food is just denser nutrient wise so if your pup can physically eat enough she will be just fine.

Do check the calcium levels. Large breed dogs need to grow bone slowly so as to not overtax the joints. Look for a level of 1-1.3% calcium or so. Some kibbles used to have ridiculous amounts of calcium - Canidae used to have 1.8% but it is now a nice reasonable 1.2% for instance.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Look on the label. Look for the AAFCO sign. On the small print it should state wheter or not it meets all the stages for a dog's life or adult dogs life. Surprisingly there is no senior requirements...........yet I see your from Canada and I do not know if your country has a feed committee. Or if the dog food you buy does have the AAFCO statement on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look on the label. Look for the AAFCO sign.
Many of our pet foods are made in the USA or are made in Canada for sale in the USA and so we do have the AAFCO logo on our bags. I do look for this, but often a limited ingredient diet is specified to be "Adult Maintenance" and not "for all life stages".

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I thought so but did not want to ASSuME. That was a back thought. I thought would it say AAFCO on the bag or have a feed police from your country logo from your country. I was just trying to cover all the bases. I have fed many a pup on adult dog food. This was way before I had known to read about life stages on the label. All these dogs have grown up just fine. Plus I believe you also feed raw venison too. I think she will be fine on her dog food minus any suplements.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plus I believe you also feed raw venison too. I think she will be fine on her dog food minus any supplements.
Yes, Sasha is on primarily a raw wild venison diet, but that may run out. I'm learning so much. I've never fed raw before and I've never had a young puppy with allergies.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
:bounce:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts