Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear y'all are going to get sick of me.
But I have yet another question....

We have started to leave my puppy alone during the day in a puppy safe environment with lots of puppy safe toys. However, when we get home he absolutely loses his mind. He jumps and bites and whimpers and runs in circles around us. I understand that this is all very normal.

The issue is that he's biting and not letting go. To the point that he's breaking skin and leaving large bruises. We are putting him in "time out" when he bites but is this acceptable even though we've just got home?? I've been making him sit and calm down but even then he's still biting really really hard!

·
Super Moderator
2,965 Posts
I imagine he'll grow out of it as he grows. My dog used to do that, too, and grab clothes and pinch skin because he was just so excited. Is he free in the house, or do you let him out of the crate and he starts doing that? If he's doing that when you walk in the door, turn around and walk right back out when he bites. If he does it when let out of the crate, I would just put him back in the crate and walk away.

Or, pick up a toy and shove that in his mouth, instead. I often grab a toy and shove it in my dog's mouth when I see those teeth coming at me. It's probably the laziest method, and I don't really care how crazy my dog gets as long as he isn't jumping on me or biting. Big stuffed ones work best because they protect your hand!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want you to know I just tried this when I got home and shoved a stuffed toy in his mouth and that was the best homecoming!!! He wouldn’t put the toy down and had it clenched firmly while getting pets and loves. It was awesome

·
Super Moderator
2,965 Posts
I want you to know I just tried this when I got home and shoved a stuffed toy in his mouth and that was the best homecoming!!! He wouldn’t put the toy down and had it clenched firmly while getting pets and loves. It was awesome
That's good! Sometimes the easiest method is the best method.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts