Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Tomorrow I'm going to take my puppy to the groomers to have a bath and freshen up. Kira is a 2 month old Golden Retriever/Lab cross, mostly black, with a thick and fluffy coat. Already she is starting to feel the effects of the heat and sun when she's outside, and I was thinking about getting her shaved to give her some relief.

However, I have read the grooming forum here and there and have noticed people saying that if a dog has an undercoat, if you shave it, it looks bad and grows back not so nice. I really don't know what "type" of coat she has, but I don't want to risk ruining her coat just to learn the hard way. Will the groomer know whats best for her? She's going to be outside a lot, because I love going on walks with her and when we go to the barn to see my horse of course she'll be outside in the sun and heat. There is always shade from the sun, but I know she's going to get hot with that thick and black coat!

If I can't shave it off, can the groomer give her a hair cut? Just to shorten it?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
At 2 months, I wouldn't suggest beginning shaving her off quite yet; going to the groomers is going to be alot of stress right now anyway; let her get used to the groom shop right now. Take her in for a bath, brush, and trim up (feet, pads, groin, etc.).

In about 6-8 of months, she will likely start to shed her puppy coat, and then you can begin a deshedding regimine, with a shedding tool of some sort (rake, furminator, or zoomgroom); I wouldn't really shave her until you know what kind of coat she is really going to have; she may wind up with a really thin type coat even if it is long, which won't need shaving at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts