Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hitch currently has a fleece dog blanket. It is ok for him sometimes, but a lot of the time it causes static. When there is static and I try to take it off of Hitch he looks at me like I am beating him and he runs away from me. :(

Does anyone know of a good dog blanket or sweater that will not cause static? Also I need it to come in Hitch's size, he is about 65lbs. It does not have to be supper thick because he is pretty furry, but he is sometimes in 35 degree fahrenheit weather when he goes to the stables with me at night in the winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
You can spray hairspray on fabric and let it dry and it really cuts down on static.

For inexpensive dog coats, I like Chick's Saddlery. they have a decent selection of dog coats that are basically cut like horse blankets. for those temps, one of the nylon shells might work well- wind and rain protection but not too much insulation and no fleece to make static.

Overall for dog wear, I prefer Ruffwear but you still might have static with any fleece type material.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Is he sleeping in the stables or something? If he's moving around, I certainly don't feel like a GSD needs anything like a sweater. If he's just chilling in the stables at night, why not just use a sleeping bag or an old cotton blanket or something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shell and Zahor, thank you for your suggestions.

Shell, I will look at chick's and also try the hairspray thing. I was looking into the ruffwear ones before, but was afraid of the static. I also really like the Pesoa horse blanket style ones, but still am afraid of static, because my horses get static from their blankets.

Zahor, he sometimes snoozes at the stables when I am cleaning stalls and stuff. I use a cotton blanket for him when he is snoozing, and it works great and he seems happy, a sleeping bag sounds like it would work quite well also. When we are walking or doing some other activity Hitch does not wear anything. But he likes to be with me, so he sometimes sits in the stall with me when I clean it (of course the horse is not in it when Hitch is), he sits with me when I am watching the horses when they are in turn out, and he sits with me when I watch my husband ride. It gets cold, and Hitch rolls up in a little ball. I cannot drag his cotton blanky everywhere, because it may spook someone's horse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts