Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Suggestions for weight maintence to discuss with my vet.

924 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ChaosIsAWeim 
#1 ·
I am having a litter of puppies any day now. I already feed dog fod all natural large breed puppy food she has 24 hour access to it. She gets a vitamin daily and was at a healthy wieght before she was bred. She is just shy of 2 and is carrying her pups very well. This is her first litter but i have raised two other littlers from another female. I am looking for ways to help her maintain her weight after the pups are born. I have taken all the steps done lots of research and made sure both dogs were healthy pior to breeding. I am just looking for su ggestions to di.suss with my vet. Thank you for the help.

#2 ·
What do you mean by healthy? Is she cleared for HD, other breed problems?

I know some try to get their bitches two pounds over weight so they don't lose too much weight while raising the litter. What vitamin is she on? Anything else? What puppy food? Basically from what I've seen they will lose weight at first, especially with her being too young when she was bred. It's just something that happens. Now, they shouldn't become skin and bones, but a pound or two is fine.

#4 ·
She has been cleared by the vet. I feel Diamond all natural chicken and rice but she is on the Diamond all natural large breed puppy lamb and rice. I cannot remember the name of her vitamin I dont have it will me. I was concerned about weight because she looks as though she is having a large littler. By the way, she was 20 months old when she was bred and this was her 3rd heat cycle. I know she will lose a pound or two. However, I did have a female that did lose a lot of weight because she had such a large littler, and she would not leave them to eat. I have had this female at the ideal wieght, according to the vet for the lenght of time I have had her. I had been told before to add eggs to her food and plain yogurt. I was hoping for more suggestions from here considering these is a dog fourm that reaches outside my limited connections due to the small town area I live.
I want to be clear. I have done the proper checks, talked to my vet, and been very
careful with how I raise, treat and care for all my dogs.
I dont show her currently. We are working on getting in to the search and rescue program locally.

#6 ·
I had her checked for heart problems, gentic or otherwise, HD and had her examened to make sure she was is all around good standing. I keep up with shots and grooming, heart worm and flea and tick. She get exercise and she is always around people. This goes for all three of my dogs. The vet suggested the puppy food and he also suggested that if she has a large litter to supplement the puppies doing bottle feeding through the day so my female isnt over extened and the puppies are getting what they need as well. He also told me there where lots of "homeremidies" that may help with weight. My vet suggested reaching out to other onwers.

#9 ·
Ok, great. I know a lot of people depend on satin balls to keep weight or gain weight on dogs. They work practically 100% of the time. I don't know when she's due, but some feed red raspberry leaf tea or liver broth to keep up energy levels. I've heard of some giving a little vanilla ice cream during delivery to help with energy too. Do you have a whelping area set up yet?

#10 ·
I am just curious, was she tested for Centronuclear Myopathy? I only ask because of how debilitating that disease is and how rampant it is in all lines of Labradors.

I make a mixture of various things for my dams, usually the base is the puppy food which we up the amount (I don't free feed so you may not be able to do what I do), and we add various toppers (yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, hamburger meat, etc) anything my girls will eat really. I don't really worry about them losing weight though.

#11 ·
I have a welphing area ready. I keep her in the house and she has room to move until she starts showing signs of labor then I move her to her own room. I have her due date as the 5th of sept based on 64 days after I sa her get bred. With the weather changes and moon phase changes I figure it will be this weekend some time. As far as that disease, my vet never metioned it. I will be asking though.

Thank you for the tips. I will try them.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Shows how little I know about Labs. You do two or three different heart screens for Boxers, thyroid, hips and elbows maybe, and a DM test maybe, then you're good. Although I feel like I'm forgetting something, but that's the jist of it. Thanks for your post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.