Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It amazes me what some of you can do with your pups. I'm thinking about trying to get my pup to do the next level of tricks. I've never been to an obedience class or agility class, so my skills with training is very minimal.

I've been clicker training with my Jack Russell mutt and he is as crazy as they come. It's tough to get him to concentrate when he gets overly excited. He becomes obsessed with the treats.

For now, he can sit, come, down, roll, spin, play dead, shake, beg, touch, semi crawl, pretty much all the basic stuff. I've been working on getting him to walk on his hind legs for the past couple months on and off and he's able to stay up for about 5-10 seconds so it's getting there slowly.

After the basic stuff, do you come up with your own tricks? What are some of the "easier" intermediate level tricks that I might be able to work on?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Are you just interested in tricks or? Obedience has a lot of different exercises you can do with your dog 'for fun'. Also, Rally-O is a great outlet as well.

Have you taught him to target or touch? Using this behavior you can teach complex stringed behaviors such as retrieving and opening. You have taught a good repertoire of tricks so far (so really you cant be all too bad at training). How about stringing them together? Also you can try moving tricks, such as weave, back, etc. Things become a lot harder when your dog has to think and move at the same time!

There are also quite a few trick books out there that you could check out.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with +two, "touch" is a great one! I've taught mine "wave" which is pretty much just a high five without actually meeting the paw, I've also been teaching her "right" and "left" with her paws. Petpeeve's suggestion is great, it really helps with the "give" command. "Cross legs" could be another one. Jump over or crawl under, are others.
Oh! Object discrimination is another good one. You could try teaching him to pick things up and put them places. My eventual goal is to teach ours "laundry" to pick up stuff on the floor and put it in the hamper, gives a job and hopefully prevents chewing on clothes that might be around. Just a couple of suggestions! Try YouTube, there are probably some great tricks on there.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I like to teach Poca oddball things, like talking to me if I raise my eyebrows or to rumble at me when I say "Barack Obama!" If I say "Get the daddy!" she rubs around my husband's legs like a cat. Or if I say "It's a Poca sandwich!" she runs to get between us so we can sandwich her and give her a butt rub. If she knows she's getting chicken and rice, I say "Chicken and rice and everything nice!" and she does a little backwards/forwards dance while rum-rumming at me. To be honest, that one wasn't hard at all - she was basically doing those behaviors anyway because she was so excited about the food. I just put a cue on it.

I've also taught her to "Go talk to daddy, he's your man!" when she wants a treat or if she can't get something out of her kong (she'll grab a kong and go find him and make noises at him). That one was harder than it sounds because she had to learn that the phrase meant she should find a kong, leave the room, find daddy, and talk to him. The hardest part was getting her to leave the room since she was convinced that I had a treat and would give it to her if she just threw the right behavior. So I started with DH in the room, then a few feet away, and eventually across the house. There was the added challenge of getting my husband to stop giving her random cues that weren't part of the trick. His only job was to sit silently until she got there, offered the kong, and started talking. Then he was supposed to reward her. But he would call her and tell her to talk and give him the kong and and and. Oy. I think he was harder to train than she was. :)

When I decide to teach something new, I often pick something random and then try to figure out how I can get her to do it (e.g. come rest your head on the arm of this chair). I try a lot of things that don't work out but I don't mind. My goal is not obedience or precision. Just fun & giggles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts