Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Suggestions for games or ways to exercise my dog

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  serenityatsea 
#1 ·
We rescued Bella ( a beautiful Carin Terrier) about 6 months ago and mostly it has been all about getting her healthy. She had been treated for heartworms just days before we adopted her, so the first month was just about keeping her calm and quiet.
Since then she has been treated for hook, tape and whip worms. We also discovered she had a bacterial infection from the fleas she was infested with. From some of her behaivors, she also shows signs of previous abuse. She is a wonderful dog and is really coming out of her shell! However, she has gained a bit of weight and is about 3 lbs overweight. Because of her past, I probably reward her with food too much. She gets at least 2 -3 walks a day but I am looking for more ways to exercise her. She only plays with her toys when I initiate it. She loves the hide and seek for treats game and is quite good at it but I'm trying to stay away from the treats. LOL
We don't have a fence and she is showing the terrier trait of a high prey drive so I'm mainly looking at games we can play inside or on the leash.
Thanks
Here is a pic of my baby.....
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

See less See more
#6 ·
We use homemade flirt poles.....the forest comes right up to our property, so our super cheap one is to grab a leafy branch in the summer and use that :). Our other one is a long sturdy wooden dowel with a rope attached to the end of it with a toy tied to it. Caeda LOVES the flirt pole game! Its great for teaching her to control her prey drive too (hold it up, make her sit before chasing again).
We also use a laser, fetch, tug etc. All of which can be to some degree done inside. Some people also use treadmills for their dogs for exercise. We don't since we simply don't have the room for one, but its a good idea.

#4 ·
You could try a low-calorie treat. My dogs enjoy baby carrots. I've seen Cesar Millan use banana, but that would be messier to work with.

Indoor toys could include a Kong Wobbler with her food kibble in it, a soft ball tossed down a hallway, a favourite toy that you hide and get the dog to seek, a hula hoop to jump through, a tunnel to climb through, treadmill walking.

More ideas, http://www.cesarsway.com/training/exercise/Ways-to-Exercise-Your-Dog-Indoors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.