Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my 3 yr old dog has mild arthritis along with other bigger problems like beginning stages of Hip dysplasia and an injured ACL. I have been reading a lot on all the treatments for each of the issues but wanted to know who has tried what first hand.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The big think I'd have him on is Triflex (available at GNC) which is MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin and fish body oils which are natural anti-inflamitories.

I really haven't had a reason to try any of the presciption treatements that are out now.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Carla. I will check it out.

·
Banned
251 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of DGP (Dog Gone Pain) and Dr. Maggie's Joint tabs.

We used them in conjunction for a 13 year old lab rescue who could barely walk, and within eight weeks he was trying to go across the road to visit the dog who lived there. He had to stop midway to take a breather, but still, the idea that the immobile dog was "running away" had us in stitches. We've also used the DGP for a current rescue with an old ACL injury that now is inoperable. Since using it and reducing his excess weight (and of course, a gentle exercise plan) he's gone from daily pain meds and three legged walking to no pain meds and a normal gait.

Really, I can't say enough about either product. Our vet has been floored with the results we've managed on crippled dogs without the use of NSAIDs.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
babysweet-thanks. My dog actually does have an injured ACL too. I'm glad you had such great results with it.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You might also look into doing hydrotherapy with him to keep him excercised without straining the joints further.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be really cool. But I don't know where I would find a place to do that. I don't live in a very dog friendly city at all. I hate that about this place! He's already going crazy with out any walk and it's only been 3 days. I don't know how I'm going to keep him sane for 6 whole weeks.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
What about adequan (sp?) injections? Isn't that supposed to actually reverse the effects of arthritis?
I don't know a whole lot about it, but my vet offered it as an option for my 13 yr old Aussie, tho I opted not to get the injections, but it sounded almost like a miracle drug for arthritis. If George were younger I have no doubt I would have chosen the injections.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DJ, Thanks for that suggestion. I haven't heard of it and my vet didn't say anything about it but I will ask about. I want to know all the options here since he's so young.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Ditto Adequan. Also pick up some Cosequin or Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM caps. You can get them at any drug store or grocey store. Flax oil capsules also act as anti-immflamatories, as well as boosts the immune sys, and protect heart. (Start flax slowly (probably 1 capsule per day for a couple days, then 2 capsules a day, up to 3 total for a dog as big as yours), or they can get diarhea.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
That's whay I suggestedthe fish body instead of the flax, it's more digestable and does the same things.

I used Ade on my horse for navicular, really seemsed to help help him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you decide to go with the glucosamine chondroitin, my mom has a lab and she started him on a product called GLC, which is basically just pure glucosamine and chondroitin with no fillers whatsoever. She had a hard time finding one without any fillers but she said that was important to her. Anyway, the dog went from not being able to get up off the floor and on the verge of being put down to being a brand new dog. They give free samples out on their website so you can find out if it works on your dog before you go and pay a buttload for something your not sure on. http://www.GLCDIRECT.com/glc1000

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,
I am making a list of what I need. I agree with Carla that fish oil is the way to go with dogs. Flax seed isn't as readily digested by dogs.
Thanks Dig- I have been looking at soooo many brands my head hurts-haha. And I don't want to use one with a bunch of fillers either.
I have also read many great things about using Yucca. Has anyone tried that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts