Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Sorry this is so long, but I am interested in becoming a first time dog owner and wondered if anyone has suggestions for dogs that I can begin researching. A few things to know about our family: I have two children ages 4 1/2 and 6 1/2. They are very calm (for that age) and very good with animals. I also have a cat who is 3 years old. He's a mellow, easy going cat who has honestly never hissed in the 3 years we've had him! Previous to owning him, I also had 2 cats that lived for 16 years (one was diabetic for 6 years and I gave her insulin shots twice a day). I am a professor, so my hours are flexible, though my dog would be left alone for some period of time throughout the day. I have the flexibility of coming home (I work 8 minutes from my home) and am ready to do what it takes to train our dog. We live in a house in a city neighborhood with a decent sized lot and a wooded park 2 blocks away. Many dogs live in our neighborhood. I have thought long and hard about owning a dog and believe that I am now ready, though not in any rush to run out and buy a puppy.
I am looking for a dog that is good with kids and cats when trained properly, somewhat easy to train, and somewhat mellow (especially when indoors). We also would prefer a small to medium sized dog. The research I've done so far has been on the standard poodle (not so small, but seems a good fit so far), bichon frise, cavachon (??), and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We've also considered adopting from local shelters, but haven't seen any dogs that can go into a family with younger children yet. Any other suggestions of dogs or thoughts about these dogs would be greatly appreciated, as this is a very important decision for us. Thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think that we are leaning a bit away from a puppy at this point (good advice to go with a rescue group) and away from the smaller dogs like a Bichon. I have been on petfinder...very helpful site. We're starting to think about a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...they are very sweet! I LOVE the border collies, but heard that they often try to herd the kids? Do children make them nervous? What is their energy level like as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's been very helpful! We may approach a local rescue center and let them know we are interested in adopting. There are a few really good ones that foster all their pets and match the pet with a family. I think that's probably going to be the best way to go for the first time around. Just out of curiosity, a neighbor of ours just bought a golden doodle. Any thoughts about that?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the good advice. I have approached a local rescue center and completed an application. They actually foster all of their pets...they require references and a home visit and they work with you to find the best match for your home. It's a slow process, but I think worthwhile in finding a dog that will enjoy our family as much as I do! Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back for advice once we adopt our new member.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.