Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we've reluctantly come to the conclusion that Maeby can't be trusted in the house alone. We've decided to buy a high-quality wire crate (strong, sturdy and likely to last a long time) and build an end table around it, to use in our living room.

Shopping online, you read reviews like "My pug broke out of this the first night!" and that's terrifying. Since I can't determine the quality of crates I can't touch, I thought I'd ask y'all: do you have a good, sturdy crate that you'd recommend? What brand is it? Do you remember where you got it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you're handy enough to build furniture around the crate, why buy anything? Just build a crate end table. Then there is little question about the quality.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I don't trust her not to eat the wood parts. I want a traditional wire crate because they're pretty chew-proof.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Watson has this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homes...ife+Stages+ACE+Double+Door+Dog+Crate,+30-inch

I'm rather fond of it. He's had it his whole time with us, 5 months, and it's shown no wear and tear. And he used to gnaw on it when he was smaller. It's very sturdy, has an easily removable plastic lining, and is pretty light for it's size.

And we're probably going to upgrade to this one when he gets older:
http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homes...upplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XTEGZK1CC2H4FFXNCRQ

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I mean the proselect ones are sort of the gold standard (other than like a 1k aluminum hunting box) but they're pricey. I guess I would go for that if I needed to and had the money. I personally am a fan of the regular midwest one with zipties at the corners.

If you aren't going to ever need to move it, the corner pin ones can actually be more sturdy if they're made well. Especially the older ones that are like the galvanized steel type material.

I work at a shelter where we use wire crates so I have sort of a ridiculous amount of experience in containing dogs in crates haha.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I use the Midwest Homes for Pets Ovation Double Door Dog Crate for my two cockers, they are in one x large crate as they love to be with each other. They even make a playpen that attaches to the crate should I need to have them in separate areas. They have clawed and chewed at it and it is very well constructed has no wear on it after 6 months, east to clean and easy to brake down and move. It is well worth the money I spent.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I have the proselect ones. Still have them after 15 years, they are made well, functional, opened and closed them and stored them many many times,, traveled with them over the years, needed to replace the plastic trays here and there..

Thing is, if any of my dogs wanted to get out, they would tear them apart any brand name crate wire or solid.. That's the key that the dogs are happy to be contained and conditioned to being contained to the time frame you need them..

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have the proselect ones. Still have them after 15 years, they are made well, functional, opened and closed them and stored them many many times,, traveled with them over the years, needed to replace the plastic trays here and there..

Thing is, if any of my dogs wanted to get out, they would tear them apart any brand name crate wire or solid.. That's the key that the dogs are happy to be contained and conditioned to being contained to the time frame you need them..
This! Jewel and jazzy were able to get out of any wire crates since they were rescued and needed to be crated before we were able to start crate training.

We had the most success with the plastic vari kennel crates. We don't crate anymore though as they never took to it and they aren't destructive.

The key is to get them loving their crate so they don't try to break out.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Google heavy duty dog crate and jump on Amazon there are many to choose from, You can read reviews and questions on each cage.

http://www.amazon.com/SmithBuilt-He...2358498&sr=8-2&keywords=heavy+duty+dog+crates
Wow. I was going to suggest looking at Precision brand dog crates http://www.precisionpet.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryId=51 but those Smith Built ones look AMAZING, at an unbelievable incredibly low price. If it were me and portability was not a factor, I'd be putting my eggs in that basket. For sure.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have the same wire crate somebody else mentioned from Amazon. It is certainly not as heavy built as the SmithBuilt but I have never had any of my dogs get out of it. It is the big one so has the double doors which is really handy depending on where you are going to put it. The one I have in the Van for travel I got at Walmart at a very reasonable price. It is just slightly smaller and only has a door on each end.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. We were looking at a Midwest Select Triple-Door; the reviews were favorable for it. Now we're also considering a 36" SmithBuilt; with something that sturdy we'd just put a butcher block on top and call it a table.

I'm all ears, if anyone wants to suggest something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts