Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my two out this afternoon while I ran some errands... I hated to put charlee in her crate because it was such a beautiful day and she wanted to watch out the window. I left them out.

I came back to find the remains of a gum package, and since I didnt know where it some from, if it was sugarless or not, or how much they had eaten each, I brought them to the emergency vet.

They made them both vomit, and discovered that they had both eaten the fruity smelling gum. They're keeping them over night, then they need to be transferred to the regular vets for observation.

Im really distressed right now... Im worried sick about them. They're my babies, and now, sitting at home without them, I feel like part of my life is missing. I want them back so badly.

On top of that, Ive got a thousand dollar bill just from tonight, more to come.

Right now I just want to go kick the companies that make sugarfree gum... I know its not their fault, though.

Has anybody else had an experience like this?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
No, I've never dealt with something like this...I am sorry you had to learn the hard way.
Artificial sweeteners like xylitol (found in sugar free gum) are toxic.
Sending them lots of healing vibes. :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well yes and sort of.

Just last weekend my dog got into some stuff he shouldn't and was at the e-vet for 4 and half days. It was expensive and terrifying. I haven't cried that much in a long time. So I feel your pain and hope your babies will be back home to you soon.

As far as gum goes specifically, Max once ate and entire package of Bazooka bubblegum wrappers and all. Fortunately it wasn't sugar-free so there wasn't any poisonous stuff in it, but it was a real wake-up call because in my research to find out if it was poisonous I found out about the whole sugar-free gum thing. I just had no idea.

Anyway, sending good vibes your way, get better soon pups!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts