Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 8 month old puppy has suddenly started to wake us with her barking anywhere from 2am-5am. She's been sleeping through the night for months before, and can "hold it" for an entire day while we're at work.

This has been going on all week and we're not sure why. What's the best way to alleviate this? My husband thinks swatting her behind is working, but I beg to differ. I'm trying to stick with positive reinforcement and I'd like to try putting her somewhere where we can't hear her.

What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Oh and by the way - she never has to go when she wakes us all up. I've taken her out every time and she just stands by the door and whines.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Welcome to the teen-age years and try earplugs from Wal Mart. You did not mention a crate but I'm going to assume there is a crate. You could move crate to a different room. Some people like crate in bedroom with the dog I have always liked a separate room. It will take some time for adjustments to take effect but it sounds like you have a good start with your pup.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sounds like a metabolism change to me. If you've been feeding puppy food, which has some pretty high energy to it, she might not be consuming all those calories anymore and wakes up in the middle of the night with a burst of energy. You might want to consider changing over to an adult food and see if you notice any difference in the sleep over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Excellent reply, I have never fed puppies anything but adult food. That being said I still never thought of that possibility.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Could also be an exercise issue. Maybe the pup is full of adolescent energy and needs more to do during the day than before.

You might also want to try a vet visit. That could be a bit of an overreaction, but if my dogs' behavior suddenly changes, I always want to make sure they don't have a medical problem before I attempt to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts