Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my dog for a month now, and we still take him outside every 2-3 hrs. He's 13 mths old....why all the sudden would he start going poo in my dd's room??? this last time was awful! he pooed and then wiped his bottom all over her room!!! i was livid! :mad: I did put a gate across the stairway to keep him downstairs and hope that he doesnt' start doing down here now too...but why do you suppose he's suddenly doing this???:confused:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe some teenage acting out?

Did you clean the room with an enzyme cleaner?

I wouldn't let the dog out of sight. Tether him to you if you have to. Start with the basics of potty training and treat him like you could never trust him.

My dog did this in our back room a few times, and it usually was when I was locked behind another door (like taking a shower). Now I can trust him around the house. I still crate him when I'm at work, but never otherwise. Hang in there. It can be frustrating but it is worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How often do you feed him? This has a lot to do with it. Maybe he just can't hold it in. Also, have you thoroughly cleaned the area with the right cleaner so that he can't pick up the scent and go again?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responces! What kind of cleaner should I use??? I used Resolve carpet cleaner...i also have pet odor eliminator by Fabreeze I can spray on it. I have a gate up across the door so he can't get upstairs anymore, so hopefully he'll stop????

Feeding might effect it??? hum. WEll, see, thats another problem we have w/ him. Since the day we got him, he's refused dog food...we thought maybe we didn't get his "brand" so i bought several kinds and several treats but he refuses anything but human food!! The vet said to just not feed him and after 3 full dys, my hubby got sad for him and gave him food...i just gave up on trying, if hubby wont' join my side and help, i'm fighting a loosing battle there. SO for the most part, the dog gets a couple hot dogs throughout the day...maybe a bite of something else, but thats about it :(

·
Registered
347 Posts
thanks for the responces! What kind of cleaner should I use??? I used Resolve carpet cleaner...i also have pet odor eliminator by Fabreeze I can spray on it. I have a gate up across the door so he can't get upstairs anymore, so hopefully he'll stop????

Feeding might effect it??? hum. WEll, see, thats another problem we have w/ him. Since the day we got him, he's refused dog food...we thought maybe we didn't get his "brand" so i bought several kinds and several treats but he refuses anything but human food!! The vet said to just not feed him and after 3 full dys, my hubby got sad for him and gave him food...i just gave up on trying, if hubby wont' join my side and help, i'm fighting a loosing battle there. SO for the most part, the dog gets a couple hot dogs throughout the day...maybe a bite of something else, but thats about it :(
I would definitely get him on a proper kibble or read up on raw feeding. It is not easy to give a dog a properly balanced diet without doing some research. A dog won't starve itself, though, so you can get him to eat.

The cleaner I found that works best is called "Nature's Miracle." I bought it at Petco.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You've got several problems here...all related. He's not housetrained yet. He's unsupervised which should not happen with dogs that are not housetrained. And, feeding throughout the day creates very unpredictable potty schedules which makes housetraining harder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, as far as him not being potty trained...he is for the most part..he goes potty EVERYTIME I take him out, every 2-3 hrs and he almost never pee's in the house...for some reason he's just poo'ing upstairs...i dunno...but yea, he needs to get on a proper diet..i'll talk to my hubby about it. So you think its related to his poo problem too then? interesting...thanks for the help!

on a side note, i just uploaded his pic in my avatar...istn' it weird how one eye is compltely encircled w/ black and the other eye has none at all?? the vet couldnt' believe the contrast.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
It's imperative that this dog get on a proper diet. The dog can't live very healthily on a couple hotdogs a day. Something really needs to be done about it in terms of figuring out a way to get him to eat kibble or making the switch to raw feeding.

I have a dog that is a picky eater as well when it comes to kibble. Nine times out of 10, if I just give him plain kibble, he'll tip his dish over and dump it out...and refuse to eat it. I've tried waiting him out but I fear I'm a little bit like your husband and couldn't stand to see him going hungry...:eek: Now, I "doctor" up his food to make it more appetizing. Sometimes, I put a little yogurt in it, sometimes a bite or two of hotdog, sometimes a little cheese, etc. I never put in more than a bite or two of anything but just enough to smell the food up a bit and kick start his appetite into getting hungry enough to eat the kibble. Works like a charm and he'll eat every bite of his food...:)

If I were you, I would try a little bit of experimenting to see if you can figure out a way to get this dog to eat something.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Not to mention that a constant diet of hot dogs will kill him....they aren't even good for humans! If he really won't eat dog food, you can research how to feed him a proper home-prepared diet, so that he can still get "people food" but also be healthy. And, yes, once he's on a good feeding schedule, it will be much easier to potty-train him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts