Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've been crate training my 4 month pup for about a month now and it was mostly successful. He's NEVER peed or pooped on his crate and he's been good with doing it outside. He also learned to let us know if he needs to go outside to do this thing. However, this morning, I woke up to a wet bedding on his crate. This is the first time he's ever done that and I'm totally stumped. He can hold it throughout the night before. I take him for the last time at night at around 12-1AM and take him out in the morning at around 7AM-sh. There's been no changes in his schedule and I was actually thinking of already transitioning him out of the crate but now I don't know what to do anymore. :Cry:

Any advice on what to do? Should I still continue the crate training? Should I take him out in the middle of the night more?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
4 months is a little early for free roaming. The ability to tell when you have to pee is dependent on neurological development that doesn't fully complete until around 6 months of age in dogs. I'd add in a night pee break for the next few weeks, at least.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
If it's just a one time thing, could be a fluke. He may have had more water or didn't really finish during his last potty break. If it continues, you might want to check for a UTI and / or resume night time potty breaks as Amaryllis said.

The only time my pup had an accident in his crate, it was a combination of his eating over-cooked rice (lots of extra water) and my thinking I could run to the store before going home.

I wouldn't start thinking about transitioning out of the crate until he's a few months older.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts