Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have another question. Callie has been in our home for almost 3 weeks now (5yr old rottweiler/lab mix rescued from a local shelter). She has been absolutely perfect in regard to going to the bathroom outside until yesterday. I found that she had pooped on the rug at some point during the day when no one was home yesterday. This morning, I took her out of her room and brought her outside. She urinated, and we came back in. My wife gave me a ride to the car mechanic to drop off my car for an oil change and then went home to find poop in the same spot as yesterday. Callie was only alone for about 10 minutes max when she did this. Not sure what to do, or why she would suddenly start this behavior. She has been great up until this point. I even got trapped at work one night last week and could not get home to take her out, and she waited super long (13+ hours) until I could get home to take her out. That is not the norm - she gets taken out at least 5 or 6 times a day, and gets at least one good walk a day.

Any ideas? I was thinking of getting some enzyme cleaner to clean that spot on the rug for starters. My wife and I are just really surprised at this behavior.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Any ideas? I was thinking of getting some enzyme cleaner to clean that spot on the rug for starters. My wife and I are just really surprised at this behavior.
I would definitely get that enzyme cleaner and ensure you remove all sniffs and traces of that poop. It could have been just a fluke that she really had to go during the day and couldn't wait. The fact she repeated it is likely because she could still smell traces of it on the rug, so for her, it's a potty spot now.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You've only had her for a bit, so give her a really scheduled/routine food/walk schedule so you can predict when she has to poo. Butters always needs to go in the morning, and in the evening walk around 6pm. Once you keep note of when she tends to poo, you can better predict it and know when she's really 'empty' and when she's not. If you're not sure she's empty, she shouldn't have free roam of the house. Wait until she's been accident free for 6 months or more before giving her full range. Otherwise, you could be making it a habit for her to eliminate inside the house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
She is very erratic with her elimination schedule. On Sunday, she went once at 10:00AM, once at 4:00PM, then on Monday, she went twice during a 45 minute walk around 5:30-6:15PM. So that's 4 times in 2 days, then not on Tuesday, then in the house on Wednesday and Thursday. So I think maybe she does not have a schedule yet

·
Registered
740 Posts
What's your walk/food/water/sleep schedule?

For example:
7:00am Outside Trip to Eliminate
7:30am Breakfast; water put down.
12:00pm Outside Trip to Eliminate
5:00pm: Long walk
6:00pm: Dinner; water re-filled
8:00pm: Outside Trip to Eliminate and water is taken up
11:00pm: Outside Trip to Eliminate & Bed Time.

If you follow a structured schedule everyday, your dog will adapt to it and you'll find his body will adjust to when he has to poo and pee. You can decide if you want to base his schedule on his pattern/lifestyle tendencies, or you can set it to how you want the day to go. After a few weeks/months you'll start to see that the dog will adapt. If you give him routine like this, he'll be much easier to housebreak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it is something like
6:30am let her out of room
6:45am outside to eliminate
7:00am Breakfast
4:00pm outside to eliminate
4:30 Long walk
7:00 dinner
somewhere between 8:30-9:30 outside to eliminate
bedtime after that

But, this schedule is still being worked out and shifts slightly - my wife works 4 days a week and has a different schedule everyday, so it's real hard for us to have set times that these things are done every single day without variance. Maybe that's the problem.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It could definitely make it tougher if there's a lot of variance everyday but if it's only for an hour or less it shouldn't pose that big of a problem? I think in the interim just make sure you reward your dog handsomly for when he eliminates outside, so he learns it's much more rewarding to hold it in until the next outing. Of course, if he really needs to go he will go in the house so it's up to you to supervise him so he can't have accidents, and to also provide ample potty breaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts