Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have a 4 month old jack Russell/ minature pinscher mix named Heidi. I have crate trained her since she was 8 weeks old. She whined and howled in the beginning but I kept up short consistent stays in the crate while making sure she is never let out while she is whining. Quite quickly she was very comfortable in her crate. She could even have a stranger enter the room without making a noise.

I have recently returned to my parents house for a few weeks who have two senior dogs. She did quite well her crate. I had one of my parents dogs, lola, sleeping in my bed while Heidi was in her crate with no issues. Then one night as I bring Lola into the room, Heidi began barking at her from her crate. I ignore this as I don’t want to encourage it. Same happens the next night, so I stop letting Lola sleep in my room. Lola is used to sleeping in my room so she sneaks in late at night, again arousing Heidi into a frenzy.

Now I have stopped Lola coming into the room but she is now barking even at me in the crate. I can’t enter the room without her becoming crazy. I have just been walking away and ignoring her when this happens. But it’s just getting worse.

When she finally calms down enough to be quiet while I let her out, she will instantly jump onto the bed. I’m at a loss about what to do.

This isn’t her needing to go potty as it happens even 15 min after being put in. I don’t believe it’s a medical reason either since she has been checked by the vet quite a lot with a thumbs up by them (although she had a string of bladder infections that have now been fully treated before this started).

Any advice on how to handle this? I’ve been thinking of just restarting crate training with her and treating her like when we first started.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sounds to me as if she is worried you have a new dog and will abandon her. I thing she thinks she is being ostracized and, to a dog, being a part of a family is survival, it means food, affection, care, staying alive. If you can trust Heidi out of the crate in your room at night, I'd do that and, restart training once you get home and, away from the other dogs. I think she just wants reassurance that she is yours and, gets the same privileges as other dogs you are currently living with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts