Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
around 6 weeks ago I moved to Alaska from Canada,

6 weeks ago Thor moved up here my husband took care of him, until I got into alaska,

husband said NONE of these behaviours started until I came,

Ever since I came home to alaska, Thor has been acting up with some really strange behaviours
Things of course are different my husband and I did not live together before we got married, due to living in different countries.
he would visit for long periods of time however.

Thor has never displayed any of these behaviours before, Thor is out of his crate all day now since Im home all the time.

1. Humping air, thor has never done this before and is neutered

2. waking up every night at 4am on the dot and dry heaving stomach bile. (at first i thought he ate something, this is literally every night , his food has not changed neither has his feed sech, )

3. if my husband hugs me or kisses me , thor will come from wherever he is , barking bloody murder (he never barks) and squeezes himself between us nipping at husband if husband moves away thor will promptly sit infront of me. as to not let husband near me.

i think thats about it...what do you all think i could be?
i know moving is stressful on dogs, but hes been here for 6 weeks, he was fine on the plane, and fine after the plane ride, he was fine up until i joined the dog and husband 3 weeks after Thor had already arrived.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I recently moved myself, and experienced a lot of barking a whining mostly.

1. Humping is generally considered an excited/playful behavior as far as I know. But maybe he's doing it as a displacement for stress?

2. I would say this is due to stress, but would consider a vet appointment.

3. Sounds like he is resource guarding you.

Sounds like Thor is still adjusting to having you and your husband under one roof full time.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I lean towards what CrimsonAccent said about stress and adjustment...

stay focused on building a new structured routine that Thor can anticipate and gain a sense of security from,, and not feed into his behaviors as he will settle down.. My DH works overseas my 6 month old pups did the same thing seeing my DH and I sit on the couch together and the very first time my DH got up from the couch and turned back to lean over and kiss me where I was still sitting on the couch.. Ra was a bit more reserved as he only leaned in quietly to examine what was going on.. we giggled and my DH kissed Ra on the nose asking if he wanted a kiss too... They had never seen anyone interact in my space like that.. lol... they quickly realized it wasn't anything negative.. but I will always remember (the what the H is going on here) attention it got from them the first time they saw it...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lean towards what CrimsonAccent said about stress and adjustment...

stay focused on building a new structured routine that Thor can anticipate and gain a sense of security from,, and not feed into his behaviors as he will settle down.. My DH works overseas my 6 month old pups did the same thing seeing my DH and I sit on the couch together and the very first time my DH got up from the couch and turned back to lean over and kiss me where I was still sitting on the couch.. Ra was a bit more reserved as he only leaned in quietly to examine what was going on.. we giggled and my DH kissed Ra on the nose asking if he wanted a kiss too... They had never seen anyone interact in my space like that.. lol... they quickly realized it wasn't anything negative.. but I will always remember (the what the H is going on here) attention it got from them the first time they saw it...
glad to know im not alone in this! lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently moved myself, and experienced a lot of barking a whining mostly.

1. Humping is generally considered an excited/playful behavior as far as I know. But maybe he's doing it as a displacement for stress?

2. I would say this is due to stress, but would consider a vet appointment.

3. Sounds like he is resource guarding you.

Sounds like Thor is still adjusting to having you and your husband under one roof full time.
i will check on resource guarding i was considering a vet appointment but because he had to travel internationally i had to get a full vet check up before he left, i thought maybe he was eating something funny but cannot recall anything that would upset him that would make him puke at 4am on the dot every night , and i dont think its anything seriously wrong such as a stomach lesion or some crazy thing since he had the check up 2 days before he left...
i will consider it if it continues, i think its probably the stress

what i dont get is why the stress AFTER i move in 3 weeks after thor arrived and not when thor arrived prior to my arrival...

just seems odd...

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Thinking like a person rather than a dog...
1. Humping is stress ... but there is some trigger for when he does it.
2. Waking at 4AM could have to do with changing time zone, AS WELL as changing latitude and length of day? What is the difference in time of sundown for where you were compared to where you now are?

3A. Thor lost you for 3 weeks, and had to go live with a 'stranger' in a strange land.
B. You came back ... and he's worried that he might be losing you again ---- This is not dog thinking, but it may trigger an idea.
C. You both might walk and feed him together for a week or so to see the result.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking like a person rather than a dog...
1. Humping is stress ... but there is some trigger for when he does it.
2. Waking at 4AM could have to do with changing time zone, AS WELL as changing latitude and length of day? What is the difference in time of sundown for where you were compared to where you now are?

3A. Thor lost you for 3 weeks, and had to go live with a 'stranger' in a strange land.
B. You came back ... and he's worried that he might be losing you again ---- This is not dog thinking, but it may trigger an idea.
C. You both might walk and feed him together for a week or so to see the result.
Thor's been here for like 6 weeks though, i assumed he had adjusted to the time zone difference by now, but we are 4 hours behind from where we were , the sun is going down same time , maybe 30 mins after than when we lived in canada.

Thor is pretty good without me hes never shown signs of distress when i would leave him before , i would often take many trips and vacations since ive had him and put him into boarding where i lived when i could not take him with me (one time was also 3 weeks) . he did just fine in boarding, but i can understand the whole "strange" land thing.

my husband and i go for walks with Thor together, hubby takes the lead because thor broke his last harness and a new one is being shipped here, shipping to alaska is a dreaded nightmare and takes forever on this island, but thats a whole nother story.

Thor also has spent time with hubby before the move, husband would visit me often when he could get the time off work, so they have met several times previously for lengthy periods of time.

I hope he adjusts and these "problems" go away, I dont want Thor to be having a hard time, I absolutely refused to rehome him so i looked for every which and possible way to get him to alaska,
i was declined by just about every pet airline for the last 6 months, i delayed moving with my husband for months due to wanting Thor with me.
Eventually i had to pay a friend to drive up from chicago to grab thor bring thor back down to chicago put him on alaska airlines cargo, it took my friend 2 days to do this.. so im grateful...just absolutely did not want to give up thor and you cant drive to where I am in alaska because im on an island not connected to the main state.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts