Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got Big Words five weeks ago, he has been excellent about never, ever messing his crate. Even though the crate is slightly too big for him (I never put the divider panel in it) and there has been times when he really had to go, he's never done it in his crate.

That was until Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I work second shift. So, I normally get home around 1 or 1:30 a.m. I take him out as soon as I get home, then I spend about a half hour or 45 minutes with him for some low-key quality time, then get ready for bed.

Wednesday night when I got home, we was out of sorts. He will normally lay on or near my lap while I pet him and when I'm done, I can get up no problem. But Wednesday, he started to growl at me when I stopped and barked when I stood up (two things he just never does, he's a quiet dog). I pet him a little more and soothed him, then put him in his crate for the night.

When I woke up Thursday morning, he had urinated in his crate. It wasn't "fresh," so I assume he did sometime early-to-mid-night. I took him outside and he went just as he always does in the morning. Then brought him back in, cleaned up the mess and went on.

He seemed fine the rest of the day as well as Friday and Friday night. However, this morning (Saturday morning), when I work up, he had again urinated in his crate, it also looked like he vomited a little in his crate.

Other than the growling/bark Wednesday night, I've noticed no behavioral changes in him. He's the friendly, happy dog he always is. I've also noticed no change in his appetite and there's been no changes in the food I feed him.

I discounted the Wednesday night/Thursday morning incident as possibly just a bit of anxiety. But now with last night's crate messing (and the vomit), I'm starting to get worried. But like I said, other than these two crate messings, I've noticed no change in him at all.

Is this something I should take him to the vet over, or for right now should I just keep a closer eye in him, noting and behavioral or appetite changes, and see how he does?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
1st don't panic, pups like people can have upset stomachs etc and also accidents in crates. I will not tell you don't go to vet as a vet visit will never hurt. If for no other reason than you will feel better. Just keep up your schedule and in all probability things will straighten out. I am not into the petting routine when a pup growls or barks I just ignore it and act normal I don't reward with petting. I also don't try to chastise the pup, as it is a pup and puppies can't do anything wrong that I can't fix when they are the proper age. This is not written in stone, this is just the way I would work with the puppy

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I am so sorry when I read 5 weeks you had dog, I assumed and you know what they say about assume. Every thing still applies in the attitude that he is brand new to your home etc. and as he is new you still don't want to do any chastising of your new friend the growling could have been from not feeling well or whatever so just relax and see how the physical end turns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts