Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or might have some input. My 7 month old Great Dane died this morning in his sleep. There was no signs of a struggle or anything. He was just laying on his couch and he looked like he was sleeping. I had a necropsy done and they can not find anything wrong. His heart looked great as did his brain. His stomach contents were normal and there were no signs of poisoning. They are doing some tests on his tissues to see if there might have been something bacterial. It just boogles my mind he was his normal self yesterday and now he is gone. If anyone has been through something like this or if you have any input on what else I should have tested I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Donna

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope they can find out what happened.

Sending thoughts and prayers to all of you.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am so incredibly sorry. I have heard a story very (the only difference is the dog was about 18 months old) similar to this only once and it also was a Great Dane. I don't think they were ever able to figure out what happened.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
That is so terrible. I'm so sorry you lost your pup. I'm glad you are investigating. I don't have any ideas I don't the vet would already have. I know it's exceptionally rare, but even with the heart looking well it could have been a myocardial infarction. Arrhythmias can happen when they lay down and go into REM sleep. They can send off the entire heart to have it looked at, but sometimes no definitive answer is given. I hope they can find something to tell you about your boy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
So sorry for your loss. A similar thing happened to a friend just a few weeks ago, she came home and one of her border collies had passed. I do not think she was able to get tests done, but in general it was very sudden in a dog that gets regular check ups and is very healthy/active.

I really hope they find the reason.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts