Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister had a little mini Holland Lop, about 7 mo. Cutest, sweetest little baby ever, we all loved him. Sadly, he just died 15 mins ago. Have no idea why, and that's why I'm posting, I would like some ideas? He was fine this morning, ate and drank like normal, was active. Then in the afternoon, one of my other sister's saw him lying down, sleeping. Of course, he does that normally so nobody thought anything of it. Then one of my other sisters (I have 7, sorry for all the "others"!) walked into the living room upstairs this evening and saw him just laying on the cage floor, motionless. She reached in and touched him and he convulsed...she brought him to me, but there was nothing I could have done. I held his limp little body while he kept gasping for air for a few minutes, then died. I just cleaned up his cage and saw 2-3 clumps of fresh, teeny poop pellets...obviously that's not normal. Minutes before he died, he passed a little diarrhea, too. I'm very shocked about all this....he literally faded and died within a few hours; I wish someone had noticed earlier and we could have taken him to the vet. If you need more info on him, I'd be happy to answer questions. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
So sorry about your bunny, 7mo is too young to go. My hamster did almost the same exact thing, one minute she was fine, the next she was gasping for air and then just passed away. I had another hamster who was fine one day and the next just died. In my experience with them, I know yours is a lagomorph and I'm talking about rodents, but it sounded as if your bunny had a heart attack.

So sorry again. :(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. :) Well, at least I know that these kind of things happen to others as well. :p It's possible he had a heart attack....we had that happen once with some of our previous bunnies, although we didn't actually witness it. One night, some creepos came and destroyed all of our bunny cages and killed two bunnies (stabbed one with a knife, broke the other's neck)...the other two bunnies got so scared they just had a heart attack and died a little ways off, no marks on them. It was awful. I guess you could say that us and bunnies haven't had great experiences together...they are such awesome pets though, we aren't giving up yet!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've had several Hollands, including one that I have now. We've had several bunnies, though not all Hollands, pass that way. Once we were able to determine it was a severe case of wry neck and we just guessed that the others were most likely heart attacks. The bad thing about Bunnies is they hide illnesses too well. Wry neck is treatable but our bun didn't show any symptoms until the day he passed. I'm sorry for your loss :(. My girl is 4, almost 5, and having a few age related illnesses.

I love Hollands :). I may be biased but I've found them to be the sweetest. My girl has never bitten me and lets me put her on her back to cut her nails every week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My sister had a little mini Holland Lop, about 7 mo. Cutest, sweetest little baby ever, we all loved him. Sadly, he just died 15 mins ago. Have no idea why, and that's why I'm posting, I would like some ideas? He was fine this morning, ate and drank like normal, was active. Then in the afternoon, one of my other sister's saw him lying down, sleeping. Of course, he does that normally so nobody thought anything of it. Then one of my other sisters (I have 7, sorry for all the "others"!) walked into the living room upstairs this evening and saw him just laying on the cage floor, motionless. She reached in and touched him and he convulsed...she brought him to me, but there was nothing I could have done. I held his limp little body while he kept gasping for air for a few minutes, then died. I just cleaned up his cage and saw 2-3 clumps of fresh, teeny poop pellets...obviously that's not normal. Minutes before he died, he passed a little diarrhea, too. I'm very shocked about all this....he literally faded and died within a few hours; I wish someone had noticed earlier and we could have taken him to the vet. If you need more info on him, I'd be happy to answer questions. Thanks. :)
So sorry for your families lost. I know how it is to lose an animal suddenly and there is nothing that you can do. RIP in Bunny Heaven

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had several Hollands, including one that I have now. We've had several bunnies, though not all Hollands, pass that way. Once we were able to determine it was a severe case of wry neck and we just guessed that the others were most likely heart attacks. The bad thing about Bunnies is they hide illnesses too well. Wry neck is treatable but our bun didn't show any symptoms until the day he passed. I'm sorry for your loss :(. My girl is 4, almost 5, and having a few age related illnesses.

I love Hollands :). I may be biased but I've found them to be the sweetest. My girl has never bitten me and lets me put her on her back to cut her nails every week.
I agree, Hollands are amazing....Bell was the best bunny we've had yet. what is wry neck? That's not something I've heard of yet.

Than you again for the condolences they are very much appreciated. If I get time I will post some pics of him. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts