Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My border-collie mix has seemingly become obsessed with food out of nowhere. I used to be able to feed him, and he'd be satisfied and go lay down or whatnot. Now, I feed him and he will scarf it down, then sit there and stare at the food container pretty much ALL day and night. He knows where the treats are, and will sit and stare at it for quite awhile also. He never used to act like that up until about a month ago! I would think nothing of it, since dogs obviously love food, but it just started happening.

Also, he absolutely hates to be outside, or anywhere by himself except in my room. I keep him outside in a dog-run for a few hours a day and as soon as I am leaving, I can hear him yelping and crying :( Can I adjust that behavior at all?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Get this dog to a vet. That is the FIRST thing to do. He may be hyperthyroid or have another problem (this is due to his obsession with the food container).

Border Collies need a JOB. They can become obsessed with all kinds of things if not given something to do.. something to occupy their minds.

If your dog is crate trained, I would not leave him outside in a kennel but in a crate indoors. BC's can obsess on things outside and are very visually stimulated. A crate, indoors, where there is little to see, is often the kindest option for these dogs. Especially if you are only gone a few hours.

If your dog is developing Separation Anxiety (and I do not know that he is) that is a whole 'nother can of worms. You will need the expertise of a certified animal behaviorist. You can learn more about SA from the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell Phd (www.dogwise.com).

Beyond that, your BC needs a job. If you can train this dog for agility work and give him a LOT of exercise (and you may be doing this already. I do not know from your post) he will be MUCH happier. By exercise, I mean 1/2 hour walk in the morning b4 school or work and another 2 hours at night after school or work. One of the two hours at night can be devoted to training for a dog sport such as agility or herding.

These dogs are very intelligent but they will obsess and they will focus on "things" if they are not kept mentally stimulated and physically stimulated. I researched this breed extensively and was seriously going to get a BC before I got my German Shepherd (a breed I had before). I still hang out with "those Border Collie People" as much as I can.. and my GSD is confused.. she thinks she is either a cat or a BC....

I think the saying "A Good Dog is a Tired Dog" came from the owners of Border Collies!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts