Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 yr old daughter has a 4yr old, female, shepard mix named chessie. We adopted chessie from an animal rescue when she was 6months old. A year later we adopted another dog , Angel, who was 6 months old and is now 3yrs old, female, cattle dog mix. They have never had any issues with each other, Chessie has always been the dominant one, and Angel is more than happy to let her. Three days ago chessie started attacking Angel, even if she is sleeping, when my daughter comes home from school. Chessie greets my daughter at the door then turns around, finds Angel and attacks her. I work at home and am here all day with them, I don't understand this sudden aggression. Angel didn't fight back the first two times and it was easy to break up, but today she defended herself and it was hard to pull them apart. Chessie has been sniffing at Angel during the day and constantly watches her. Angel is now hiding under my bed and is scared to come out even though Chessie is in my daughters room with her now. I am worried!! Any clues to what is going on with my puppies??

·
Registered
10,534 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I agree with getting professional behavior help. Dog/dog aggression between females is a potentially deadly thing (worse even than between males) Shirley Chong said that males fight for breeding rights, females fight for breathing rights. So if a female dog decides the other girl dog should be gone, you can have big trouble. Additionally I would get check ups on both dogs at the vets. Sometimes aggression is over an undiagnosed medical problem. It's not something our civilization allows for, but the law of nature is to get rid of the sick or weak. So I would get the aggressed upon dog checked to make sure she is healthy. And I would get the aggressor checked for hypothyroid (6 panel, not T4 and send to Dr. Dodds/hemopet). And also tickborne disease or pain can make aggression more likely.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would also talk to the vet about thyroid testing, sometimes sudden aggression can be caused by problems with the thyroids. As Pawzk9 said. But if that is clear for sure talk to a professional. That means not one from petco/petsmart lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts