Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a call today, a 6 yr old autistic child missing since 8 am. Dogs were brought in at 4. They had a hound who lost his trail at a pond, tried to continue down a logging road, but it was too contaminated as there were around 100 volunteers.

We took over where the hound left off, Greta picked up, the boy was actually found by deputies near his home, since we had a positive direction of travel. The home had been searched thoroughly, but the boy had dodged the searchers. It's so amazing what dogs can do :)

Usually I'm not able to share stories on searches as most we are called to are crime scenes. This was a happy ending. Good girl Greta.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thats amazing! I can't imagine what might have happened to an autistic boy alone in the woods. Good girl, Greta!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's awesome news - great job Greta!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. It is amazingly rewarding to get the chance to do this, and be so involved working with dogs.

It was pretty tense for awhile. The boy was in foster care, and the circumstances were questionable about the story. Thank God, it was correct. It's always high adrenaline when missing children are involved. The dogs completely feed off of this, and work that much harder.

The heat was unbelievable, in the nineties with high humidity. The dogs are of course conditioned for this, but its easy to push and the dogs just won't quit. I think the hardest part is knowing when to break, and call in a fresh dog to continue on. Many of our cases don't have a happy ending.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts