Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Is there a method to working with submissive peeing?
Yes. Obedience training. Instead of handling your dog physically (pulling him off your niece, nudging him to move and pushing him out the door) teach him the commands "off" and "outside" so he can move his body instead of you. If he is in control of his body, he'll be MUCH less likely to pee. Be patient. Since he grew out of it with dogs, he'll probably grow out of it with people, too. But you must learn to respect his physical space and tell him what to do instead of physically moving him. :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I do worry I'm not helping. I tend to get very aggrivated which only makes it worse.
Absolutely does make it worse. :) Decide which is more important to you. Getting aggravated or having him not pee. Easy choice.

He does make eye contact, and he honestly just looks scared.
I would say that if you think you're entering a situation where he would normally pee, be sure that you DON'T make eye contact. In fact, ignore him as much as possible.

It's mostly on the whole idea of going outside.
Then I would do something like this. Start working on a new routine around going outside and do it the same way every time. For example, if it's potty time, you grab a treat and walk to the door and call him in your sweetest voice. As he approaches (remember DON'T look at him) you open the door and walk through it, calling him and luring with the treat if necessary (while looking the other way). Once he gets outside, drop the treat and walk on out into the yard.

He's a very social dog every other time. He'll climb all over me trying to get some loven. That's that part that makes this so hard to understand.
That's actually a very good sign. He's probably associating going outside with you being aggravated. So, every time it's time to go outside, he thinks you're going to be aggravated. Try to change his mind about that. NEVER do it again. He'll get used to the new and improved you. :)

Be patient and if he pees, act like you don't even see it. And once he's out of the area, you can clean it up. This too shall pass. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts