Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three and a half year old border collie who pees when she is happy, sad, excited, or nervous, ever since she was a puppy. I have taken her to the vet a few times and they told me that she is just a submissive pee-er. Didn't really give me advice on what to do to help her out, wondering if anyone has ever ran into this situation and if they have any advice. I try to give her high self esteem by always praising her and she gets 3 k walk every morning and night usually.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
BCs are very intelligent and some will pee when excited. Usually they grow out of it, after socialization. My suggestion is try to expose her to lots more people (Like you would for a young pup), 2 - 5 at a time, so that she'll learn to be more relaxed around people. It could take 3 - 6 months, altho you may see a little progress in a week or two.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sam pees when excited, but typically only when people bend over to greet her. So while other people try to train their dogs not to jump up against legs, we actually have to ask people to allow Sam to bounce up to sniff their hand first before bending over to pet her, because this prevents the problem. I started out trying to ask people to crouch down on the ground but found this was not easy to accomplish in everyone, so we've been teaching Sam to do a very brief hand-greet.

We were actually warned when we first got her not to bend over her when greeting her as this might happen. In the beginning it didn't, but as she aged she started doing it with my husband when he came home after work. He figured out it did not happen if the dog popped up to sniff his hand first, and then he bent down to pet her and there was no submissive pee.

So I'd play around with different techniques to avoid the problem. Often it can be related to the dog feeling "intimidated" when someone is bending over them. Typically they will begin to grow out of this as they get a bit older, I know my previous dog did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts