Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know what to do with my dog! Someone please help! He's a 11 month old Yorkie/Maltese mix. 8 lbs. Neutered. He has this huge problem with nervous submissive peeing. I don't know why or what to do about it! We just moved to Boston from the Seattle area and it seems its gotten worse. I'm sure the new surroundings don't help the situation. I've read that you should just act calm and ignore it and never act mad about it. So, that's what I've always done so he should have no reason to be that submissive. What I WANT to do is kick him across the living room, but I stay nice and calm and just let him outside and clean it up. He does it any time I tell him to lay on his bed, or go in his kennel. I even got him a new bed and a new kennel thinking maybe he has some weird bad memory with his old ones. He also pees when I try to put a leash on him. Even though I'm sure he knows that a leash is a good thing, right?! He even does it when I just lean over to pet him sometimes! I swear I'm getting to the point where I'm just walking on eggshells and I don't want to touch him at all! AAHH! I just don't know what to do. I am changing the bedding in his kennel everyday, sometimes he lifts his leg and pees on the wall when he's in there. We just moved into a brand new apartment and its driving me crazy using my steam cleaner every day. He crawled in my husband's lap yesterday and when he went to pet him, he peed in his lap. My husband has REALLY had it with him. I am really considering getting rid of him. He's beginning to just not be worth the stress. My son absolutely loves him though and I just can't bring myself to do it. If anyone has any advice to try, please tell me. I took him to puppy kindergarden and he's now trained to sit, come, heel, go outside when he needs to go to the bathroom... it's just this darn submissive peeing and I don't even think he knows he's doing it. Please, please help! Thank you!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Have you tried not talking? For the kennel and bed just lure him there with a treat....no talking, no bending over him, no fast hand gestures. When he gets in the kennel or the bed use your hand like a stop sign. Dogs understand that gesture...stop/stay there.

Slow down all of your actions toward him...no 'threatening' quick movements. Bending over him is a threat...stoop down, turn sideways and let him come to you for petting. Do the same for putting the leash on...stoop down/turn sideways...let him come to you...praise for showing the confidence to approach. No more laps until this is fixed.

What have you done to build his confidence? Have you been praising for calm/confident behavior, played tug of war (and let him win?) or got down on the floor and let him walk on you? Those are just some of the confidence building tools...there are many others.

Dogs can read emotions/body lanquage from across the room. If you're even slightly upset at him....he will see it and that won't help him with this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have stopped talking to him when I want him to go in his kennel, and I've given up on talking about, or even going near his bed at all. If he wants to go in his bed, I've made that up to him now. With the kennel, I open the back door and he goes outside. Then I open the back door and the door to his kennel so he has no option but to go inside his kennel. So, I don't say a word to him. Then as soon as he gets in there, he pees. I have also tried the slow movements.

I haven't tried getting down to his level to pet him or put his leash on. I will try that today. I will also try the tug of war and letting him walk on me. When you mentioned that, I realized that my son plays those games with him all the time and he isn't submissive towards my son at all. I figured it's because he's a little kid and isn't threatening at all. But it might be because he wins a lot.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also put him on a a nilif and obedience training program. The training should, since he is so submissive, be all positive and use games to teach him. Nilif and obedience will help build his confidence. If he knows basic commands (sit, come, down) I highly recommend agility lessons as a confidence booster. Just be sure and tell the instructor what you are trying to accomplish with the lessons (confidence, not competetive agility).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts