Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the answer is a big no, but can't hurt to ask.

Wolves have been hanging around town in the last 3 weeks a lot. Rumors are going crazy. People say they have seen up to 9 different wolves (but this town has the tendency to exaggerate).

What I do know is 5 cats have disappeared in the last 3 weeks. 3 of those on my street (Capitain Kitty is the only cat left on the street now!). Now I saw a wolf on saturday morning near the school (300 meters or so from my house). We just saw a different one walking about an hour ago.

I'm getting worried for Dexter. I don't have a big enclosure with a roof and he's outside during the day. I'm considering bringing him to work with me (I could tie him up near my classroom window), but I doubt he'll stay quiet while I teach. There's a dogsitter he adores who could keep an eye on him while I work, but she's away for the rest of the week.

Is there anything I can do on my yard to keep wolves away? Any scent or noise which the dog wouldn't care for? Anything???

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Oooh boy, I don't think there's anything that will keep a wolf from what he wants! I would either build a wolf-proof enclosure (there were some good suggestions in the wolfdog thread) or keep Dexter inside when you're not home. Tying him outside at your workplace probably isn't any better than keeping him outside in your yard. Does he really need a dogsitter? Most adult dogs do fine indoors while their owners are at work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't build a wolf proof enclosure for now. Even if I would order the materials to do so, the next delivery is in 3 weeks.

Dexter has never been inside when I'm not home. This would be like a panicking festival for him. I was thinking I could keep an eye on him while working through the window. I'm a tad worried he'd just want to play with my kids if he can hear/see them.

The last time some wolves caused a stir (summer before last), they only killed little dogs. I'd assume my 62 pounds dog (who actually looks much bigger than this) wouldn't be the first thing they'd go for?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Someone more knowledgeable than myself could probably give you a better answer but this is just what I know

Wolves eat smaller prey animals when large prey animals aren't around. When the large prey animals are around they don't hunt healthy adult animals mainly because they're a lot harder to kill and the total energy spent trying to kill an animal that vastly outweighs them is far too much to risk when a meal isn't as guaranteed (opposed to a meal that has a higher success chance like an elderly animal). So wolves go for the elderly and sickly animals. They help keep the large prey herds healthy in that sense.

My guess is that while they could probably attack Dexter - they probably wouldn't. HOWEVER if he is -tied- out they could go after him because they'll see he has no means of escape even though he could defend himself. They'll also pause because he's a big healthy dog. A hungry wolf I imagine is not something to tangle with either way. And for his safety if there are wolves around and to keep the risk to zero I wouldn't leave him out. Even if you brought him to the school and tied him out near the window - if he's attacked by them some serious damage can be inflicted before you even get out there. Unless you're diving through the window at them and then you're risking your own life as well.

I'd say. Put everything that could be broken in a safe room along with all the furniture or things he could chew and give him roam of the house until you can get someone to puppy sit him :D

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Are you absolutely sure they are wolves and not coyotes? I don't think wolves are generally that brazen. Not that it makes any difference to the cats, but it probably makes a difference legally in whether or not you could trap them or whatnot.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Are you absolutely sure they are wolves and not coyotes? I don't think wolves are generally that brazen. Not that it makes any difference to the cats, but it probably makes a difference legally in whether or not you could trap them or whatnot.
Isn't the OP up in Alaska or way north Canada or somewhere like that? I think when there's a larger population of wolves they do get braver. I'm kind of surprised that they're coming into town in the summer (instead of in winter when food is scarce), and that nobody has shot them yet (because around here, someone would have, legal or not). But I've heard that the wolves can be a problem up north.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Isn't the OP up in Alaska or way north Canada or somewhere like that? I think when there's a larger population of wolves they do get braver. I'm kind of surprised that they're coming into town in the summer (instead of in winter when food is scarce), and that nobody has shot them yet (because around here, someone would have, legal or not). But I've heard that the wolves can be a problem up north.
Ah, that would make more sense. There are wolves in northern MN, but you rarely ever see them.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Someone more knowledgeable than myself could probably give you a better answer but this is just what I know

Wolves eat smaller prey animals when large prey animals aren't around. When the large prey animals are around they don't hunt healthy adult animals mainly because they're a lot harder to kill and the total energy spent trying to kill an animal that vastly outweighs them is far too much to risk when a meal isn't as guaranteed (opposed to a meal that has a higher success chance like an elderly animal). So wolves go for the elderly and sickly animals. They help keep the large prey herds healthy in that sense.

My guess is that while they could probably attack Dexter - they probably wouldn't. HOWEVER if he is -tied- out they could go after him because they'll see he has no means of escape even though he could defend himself. They'll also pause because he's a big healthy dog. A hungry wolf I imagine is not something to tangle with either way. And for his safety if there are wolves around and to keep the risk to zero I wouldn't leave him out. Even if you brought him to the school and tied him out near the window - if he's attacked by them some serious damage can be inflicted before you even get out there. Unless you're diving through the window at them and then you're risking your own life as well.

I'd say. Put everything that could be broken in a safe room along with all the furniture or things he could chew and give him roam of the house until you can get someone to puppy sit him :D

I'll bring him to work tomorrow morning. I am aware he wouldn't be a wolf's first pick (and there are still plenty of little dogs around to eat), but I don't want to worry all day. I'll test out leaving him inside tomorrow afternoon (I have no class and could go check on him after an hour). He can be....impressive when he is in panic mode though. But worth a try.

And yes, i'm sure they are wolves. I live near the James Bay, only a few kms away from the Nunavut border. It's also not summer here anymore. We got our first snowflakes today, actually! I'm hoping they'll leave town a bit next week when hunting season really starts (only allowed to hunt with a bow and arrow right now...seriously). They'll have plenty of remains to eat and that's usually when they go away.

I called the.....I hate english sometimes.....the wild animals and hunting and fishing guard person thingy. He said they don't hunt down wolves for cats. If a dog gets eaten, they are allowed to hunt them. That's......yeah. He confirmed they are tracking 7 right now.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Wolves don't hang out around a town because they have large numbers. By the sounds of things it's probably just two, three or four (max) wolves that people have exaggerated to sound like it's a decent sized pack(in which case they'd be out hunting not terrorizing kitties that would only feed one wolf). They probably got into some trash or found food lying around (including the kitties) and realized that this is a place to get food so they're hanging around.

If there's any of the migratory species around where Zoopie lives they should be about ready to start their migration or maybe already have. The wolves should follow suit as killing kitties won't sustain anymore than one or two wolves and that's if there are a lot of kitties.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We see wolves a lot. I even saw a bear trying to eat the bumper off my car once, right in my driveway. We're officially in the wilderness.

And by town, I mean streets of mobile homes. Streets are in alphabetical order and they go up to J. We're less than 200 now. I bet calling it a town is almost a stretch.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I guess I lied xD I guess there's 7. Nice to see wolves are still in good numbers up north. Makes me a happy girl!

Does Dexter have a Kong? Or anything you could give him that you can put his favorite treats in that will keep him busy for awhile?
That could be something to consider when/if you leave him alone. Things that will keep him occupied instead of destroying your home :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I lied xD I guess there's 7. Nice to see wolves are still in good numbers up north. Makes me a happy girl!

Does Dexter have a Kong? Or anything you could give him that you can put his favorite treats in that will keep him busy for awhile?
That could be something to consider when/if you leave him alone. Things that will keep him occupied instead of destroying your home :)
I adore wolf watching at the municipal dump. I like them less in my yard or near my dog!

Dexter is not a destroyer by any means. He never ate anything on purpose in the house. I'm mostly afraid he'll bark like a mad dog, jump around for hours and injure himself by accident.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'd love to watch wolves. I'm jealous! I need to make a trip up north sometime. Wolves are my favoritest <3

Well if he's not a destroyer the kong or favorite toy dispenser would work just the same! It'll keep him busy and he won't injure himself or bark! Something to think about working on maybe for the next time this happens. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He'd mostly do the bacon dance on the floor, between sessions of running in the hallways full speed after the cat, all day.

Something like this:

Mixed with a little bit of this:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Ohhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyy gooooooooooooooooooooodneeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss

Dexter is so amazing!

I want one :( He's so awesome!

Chasing the cat sounds like the best day any dog could have :p

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You could put him in a bathroom or the garage if there are dangerous things in the rest of the house. My guess is that he'll be much safer indoors and that he's very unlikely to injure himself. My dog has severe separation anxiety and broke like half of his teeth panicking inside of his crate, but now I leave him out in the living room and he barks and panics like crazy but has never once injured himself. I also second the kong or other treat suggestion to keep him occupied. If chasing the cat is a problem, could you put the cat in a different room?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could put him in a bathroom or the garage if there are dangerous things in the rest of the house. My guess is that he'll be much safer indoors and that he's very unlikely to injure himself. My dog has severe separation anxiety and broke like half of his teeth panicking inside of his crate, but now I leave him out in the living room and he barks and panics like crazy but has never once injured himself. I also second the kong or other treat suggestion to keep him occupied. If chasing the cat is a problem, could you put the cat in a different room?
He did the same thing with his crate when he was younger! Chasing the cat is not really a problem. He's faster, but the cat just runs around making sharp turn and Dexter can't follow and end up in a wall. Captain Kitty is also a master at climbing high enough for the dog to be no problem.

Dexter got annoying this morning. He was fine the first two periods, but started waking up at the third. His favorite kid was sitting next to the window and he just wanted to go see him.

I just left him inside alone. I'll go check in an hour or so. So far, since my windows are opened (he hates it when it's warm), I can hear him howling from here.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe the worst he'll do is just howl. And howl and howl and howl! Or even better maybe the wolves will leave in a couple days! :D
Non-stop howling and two small holes in the couch. My neighbor works during the night. I went to apologize and he was really nice about it, but I don't want to abuse.

Moose hunting is starting this weekend, but they probably won't be enough to chase the wolves away. I guess the problem won't be solved before the caribous get here (they crossed the town by the thousands last year. Most breathtaking thing I've ever seen).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts