Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is hot in the news right now. It isn't a "Pit" this time its a lab mix. Seems there is 2 different stories the news has reported. 1. the dog was a new rescue and the 2 month old baby was left in a swing while the dad and toddler slept. and 2nd story is they were dog sitting and left the baby while dad slept. Needless to say the baby didn't make it. People are so freaking stupid. How many kids have to get injured before people wake up and get it. Don't leave your dog and baby together even unattended no matter how friendly the dog is. And then the mom had the guts to say that she felt the 2yr old had taken the baby out of the swing and thats when the dog got it. I'm glad that they are charging the so called parents.
http://www.wistv.com/story/17672830/911-call-from-newborns-fatal-mauling-depicts-horrific-scene

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I don't allow a dog to free roam while we're asleep and we don't have kids. What a tragic waste!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are so many dog bites that happen to kids that if the parents or adults would use just 1 oz of common sense wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
This makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sorry I clicked the link.

With that extensive amount of damage it must have been a prey drive issue...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing that gets me is the 2yr old could've actually done something to the baby. Heck maybe the 2yr old dropped the baby and it died that way. No one will ever know. I also think that the news is hyping this some because the first 3 reports they did had a totally different direction like the dog pulled the baby out of the swing. Now they're saying that the 2yr may have taken the baby from the swing and the dog attack. If these people were stupid enough to live a baby with a dog while they slept who knows they may have killed the baby and are using the dog as cover. They mention in 2 reports of another dog and several chickens living in the house. If a dog has that much prey drive wouldn't it go after the chickens?

·
Banned
199 Posts
So not only did he leave a baby unattended with a dog, he left it unattended with a two year old? Why was the two year old able to get to the baby, and why was the dog able to get to either of them? And what's the deal with the dad being "somewhat awake"? This whole scenario was entirely preventable. Honestly, if this is how they parent, I'm surprised they didn't have an accident sooner. A two year old isn't a babysitter. Neither is a swing. Sad.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
rigydnik 8fvuh89y2oiuc fghk h >|

"A rescue dog attacked a baby" annnnddd, now it'll be 'REZKEW DAWGS R DNGRUS. DEY KEEL BAYBEZ!/!//1?one"

Now the dog will die because these people weren't being responsible. It's... just basic common sense. You don't leave your baby alone with a dog, not any dog. Even the kindest dog has the potential to hurt a baby, even if by accident. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And how do they know that the rescue dog or the story their giving now the dog that they were dogsitting is the one that actually did this. There was another dog inside which has been removed. And really what kind of people keep chickens inside their homes,maybe chicks like they were hatching chicks but this said several chickens. It makes me sick as well.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Before my son was born, we set up the baby stuff and my one guy who was awesome with almost everything saw the swing as something to kill! It was empty at the time but the fact that it was swinging got his attention and he went after it. He stopped when I told him to knock it off and a few quick lessons in 'no, we do not grip the baby swing' and he was fine, but it was a good thing to check out before there was a baby in it!

Even now I don't leave dogs with kids alone, if I'm at work the bad beagle comes with me if I go upstairs, just in case. Even if he's sleeping on the couch and it's my kid sitting watching TV ignoring him.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Like I told my mom when she told me this story. . .babies are small and squeaky and look a lot like food. You can't expect a dog to know that a baby isn't something to munch or play with. They're DOGS. I think people forget that too often. Of course we don't even know if the dog killed the baby at this point, the autopsy should be able to tell.

·
Banned
964 Posts
A well trained family dog sleeping at the foot of the bed ..can give a person a sense of security.
Be it a 120 lb Rottie or a 12 lb Yorkie...

Chantel and her Husband ...They left their children unsupervised with a strange rescue dog roaming around their home....
Thats not a good thing to do...

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I'll be babysitting my two grandchildren in a couple weeks. The oldest will be 4 in July and the other will be 6weeks when they start. I can tell you that the baby will go into the port a crib when i need to let the dogs out, go to the bathroom, whatever. I planned to do this anyway, with two dogs in the house but even more so when, at her home, the older one took the newborn out of his little seat and carried him out to his mom. They're very lucky the baby didn't get dropped, or worse.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It doesn't have to be a "strange rescue dog" or a dog they're watching for someone else--you don't EVER leave a dog alone with a baby! Even if you've had him for 10 years and he thinks the baby is terrific and he's the nicest dog in the world. Maybe he'll just get concerned and try to bring the baby to you. The baby still gets hurt/killed even though the dog had "good intentions".

·
Registered
905 Posts
My dogs are fine with my kiddo and I still don't leave them alone with him. And he's 16 months now. Supervision is just common sense.

In regards to why the dog would go after the infant and not the chickens..not everything triggers a prey response. My coworker adopted a dog who was fine running around with her rabbits in the yard, but then killed one of her chickens. Perhaps the high pitch of an infant's cry was just more stimulating in that instant.

The thing that gets me is the 2yr old could've actually done something to the baby. Heck maybe the 2yr old dropped the baby and it died that way. No one will ever know.
I do find the fact that someone is trying to blame a toddler pretty disturbing... The cause of death was exsanguination..not trauma from being dropped.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Well you guys have seen those toys that make noises eerily similar to the noises a newborn baby makes , so perhaps the baby started making fussing noises or crying & the dog thought it was a toy, tragic but it happens. :(

My Izze was. bar none one of the best dogs I ever owned, but I assure you that if she had ever been left alone (hypothetically speaking ... I would NEVER do this) with a kid not a newborn, she would just gone to the other end of the room & stayed there Avoiding it, but a kid aged 2-7 she might very well have mauled that child I hate to say. Even supervised I wouldn't let her have contact with kids if I could help it which is why I left my last job before something like that happened :/.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dog or no Dog ... 2 small children were left unattended .... Thats the biggest issue I see in this. Neglect. And its truly sad the dog will take the blame.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Something similar to this happened locally just a few weeks ago. Someone with a new baby, just a matter of weeks old, also had a Lab puppy who was very young...just weeks. The mother laid down to nap with the baby on the floor, maybe in a carrier or something. When the mother woke up, she saw blood all over the baby. The puppy chewed on the baby's hand, severing a finger.

The puppy was taken by AC and an x-ray was done. Sure enough, the finger was visible in the puppy. The dog warden didn't consider this to be an aggressive act and the dog was made available for adoption. Thankfully, it ended well for the puppy but I can not comprehend the...thought process of some people.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 2 cents

A) I am not going to blame the mom. Her story is changing because she wasn't there and she is trying to piece together what happened to her baby.

B)The's dad's story doesn't add up. I bet he was intoxicated or stoned. That baby had to be screaming loud enough to wake the dead before it died. Now it may very well have gone into shock quickly, but there is no way that baby didn't scream at all. I know of no sober parent that could sleep through that kind of scream from their babay/child. I bet they will find that the dad was intoxicated and that he wasn't napping, he was passed out. Due to his lack of dilegence in supervising his children a baby is dead and dog is about to be put down.

I hope to be proven wrong and that the baby died so quickly that it never had time to scream but I doubt it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
B)The's dad's story doesn't add up. I bet he was intoxicated or stoned. That baby had to be screaming loud enough to wake the dead before it died. Now it may very well have gone into shock quickly, but there is no way that baby didn't scream at all. I know of no sober parent that could sleep through that kind of scream from their baby/child. I bet they will find that the dad was intoxicated and that he wasn't napping, he was passed out. Due to his lack of dilegence in supervising his children a baby is dead and dog is about to be put down.
I'm inclined to agree with this.
I have no children, but I know that if I hear a child yell, even in play, I jump out of my skin to see what's wrong. I don't even like kids.
I can't imagine any parent not flying in a panic attack at the sudden sound of their child screaming.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts