Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
wow! what a coincidence that you would find a dog that looks nearly identical to your current dog at the shelter! that is awesome. i am sure that it will all go well :) good luck with everything

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay, so... Sunshine is adopted... took the afternoon off to get them to like each other and get her used to the new house. At first they played great, a little too much teeth, but still great for just meeting. After they had tired themselves out things became a little more labored and started biting and pulling on each other, at this point we separated them, and had her explore the house while I had my mom take Oakley to the park to play. She seemed very nervous and wouldn't eat food from the bowl, but would take it from my hand. (she ate her supper from the bowl around 6 hours after being brought home)

So, turns out shes got some issues with dominance, she definitely wants to be the boss and isn't shy about using her teeth to show it. I think this is the TRUE reason why she was returned. Also, she decided to eliminate in the house twice. This is my fault, in a short 3 months I had forgotten what it was like when we brought Oakley home, so I have now started her on training. As of tonight she can do sit and down with a little bribery.

Oakley is a bit distraught about the whole thing, seems like he's a bit jealous. I really hope it works out for the best for him and doesn't end up hindering a lifestyle he used to enjoy. I mean, I'd hate to have to return a shelter dog, but if it came down to my boy that I've had for months and a new dog that I've had for a couple weeks. I know who would win. I know I'd lose my payment if it came to that, but they need the money anyway. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that though.

Her pictures can be found here...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Actually it doesn't sound like things are going TOO bad! :D I'm not sure the teeth is always a dominance thing - huskies tend to play more "roughly" with more teeth showing, jaw sparring, chewing on necks and ruffs of fur, etc. - and Sunshine definitely looks more husky than Oakley does.

Anyway, just a thought! It's up to you to determine what play is tolerated and what isn't. It will definitely take some time for Oakley to adjust, though - so be sure to take it slow and give both dogs plenty of one-on-one time. :)

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Very cool, I hope we will be seeing pictures of your new addition at home soon. :) I also hope poor Daisy can find a forever home too. IT is so sad to see dogs sitting in those stressful environments like that. I adopted a dog that was "cage crazy" also. Turned out to be a wonderful dog. I know I myself would go cage crazy and it wouldn't take me a year to do it. :(
It speaks to the importance of shelters having a robust foster care program. They can't just keep dogs in tiny cages without proper exercise or human interaction and expect them to stay healthy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Actually it doesn't sound like things are going TOO bad! :D I'm not sure the teeth is always a dominance thing - huskies tend to play more "roughly" with more teeth showing, jaw sparring, chewing on necks and ruffs of fur, etc. - and Sunshine definitely looks more husky than Oakley does.

Anyway, just a thought! It's up to you to determine what play is tolerated and what isn't. It will definitely take some time for Oakley to adjust, though - so be sure to take it slow and give both dogs plenty of one-on-one time. :)
Yea, actually Oakley is the one that is more teeth. He constantly goes at her mouth gaping. Then she gets going, and if either one of them bite too hard, the other takes offense and wants retaliation. I think they are so alike it's causing some clashes.

Yea, with the play we let it go until it goes from teeth play, to 'aggressive' teeth play, you can see the difference in the speed and intensity of the play. Yea, I'm hoping the amount of play and interaction between them drops, as feeding/eliminating/handling, is a bit of a chore as they are constantly on one another. As for the one on one time how do you manage that? I mean, do you just leave one in their crate and then take the other to go do something? I know I can leave sunshine in the crate and she won't make too much noise, but the moment I put Oakley in the crate with her not... he FREAKS. Any suggestions? Please? Anyone?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yea, I'm hoping the amount of play and interaction between them drops, as feeding/eliminating/handling, is a bit of a chore as they are constantly on one another.
Oooh boy, I hear ya on this one!! I have the same problem with Willow and Bandit - when feeding or spending time with them, Willow always wants to "start things" while Bandit is trying to cooperate and pay attention to me.

Two things have helped: teaching both dogs a solid "leave it" (which Bandit has mastered, but not Willow - she's super impulsive), and making sure they have lots of time in an off-leash area to run around like maniacs and get the playfights out of their system. Also, since the playing/fighting has become such an issue when feeding them in the morning, I've started a new routine. I sit and wait for them to calm down, and then click them the first moment that they lay off one another. It surprises them so much that they forget they were wrestling, and then I give them a high-value treat, then their food. In time, I think they will be so eager to get their click and treat that they will shorten their inappropriate wrestling time until it disappears.

As for the one on one time how do you manage that? I mean, do you just leave one in their crate and then take the other to go do something? I know I can leave sunshine in the crate and she won't make too much noise, but the moment I put Oakley in the crate with her not... he FREAKS. Any suggestions? Please? Anyone?
Leave Oakley in the crate with something REALLY GOOD, like a frozen stuffed Kong or a really good bone or chew. This works wonders for Willow, who acts the same way when I put her in the crate and have Bandit out. I also have an outdoor kennel I can utilize, so sometimes I'll leave one dog outside while the other is in the house. Once their training progresses, you should hopefully be able to put one dog in a down/stay or sit/stay while the other is being trained, and then release and reward him and switch to the other dog. It becomes a little game for them. Of course, mine aren't exactly at that point yet, either. ;)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I taught my dogs to be respectful if I was handling the other (either petting or putting on a leash). What I did was when they were a few feet apart, just chilling out, I would go over to one and toss a treat to the other. Put my hand on #1, toss a treat to the other, over and over again, then pet #1, toss a treat to the other and so on. I would increase the amount of handling. If the other one got up and came closer, I got up and left. They caught on super quick and now when I am handling one of them the other will actually back away a few feet and lay down.

They also have a command to stop playing. Its "all done" . . . its basically a settle command. If we tell them all done they will go lay down somewhere.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Those are both great suggestions, thank you so much for taking the time to share, nekomi and melgrj7.

nekomi, how long have you had your 2 dogs? seems like it's not been that long? hopefully not something like a year? *dreads* lol.. cause I'm hoping that my 2 will be a bit better along by then.

On a side note, I posted this in the sister forum to this one in the pictures section... but posting it here for those that aren't following that one.

Okay... correction.. Sunshine's name is now to be Juno, after a long debate with my significant other, and me suggesting countless names, and rejecting the list she had made up, we have settled on Juno. I mean, Annie would have been cute, but... she was against it due to a certain weird memory that comes to her mind whenever she hears Annie Oakley, and I found it to be a bit too 'common' for my liking. I like to have unique animal names. I mean, my previous dog that I named when I was 4, was Raphael. Named after the red ninja turtle, however as I got older, I said he was named after the famous painter. :D

So... Introducing (again)... *drumroll*... Juno.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.