Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently 15 and my parents have allowed me to get a Puppy when I turn 16. But I have to buy it myself, all it's supplies, food, etc.
We currently live in a trailer and in a trailer park. There are a lot of Dogs here and all are very friendly.
The Dog will be coming with me when I move out but that won't be for awhile. My college is just classes at a local dog/cat boarding facility for Dog Training/Grooming. So I'm going to try and stay home for as long as possible.
And I would consider a mutt but I'm really wanting a purebred for showing.
Here are some things I want in a Dog:
-Under 20 pounds
- Smart/easily trained
- Not a poodle.
- Fast

I hope you guys can help me!

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
What is your budget? A show-quality purebred is going to cost a lot -- more than $1000 for a lot of smaller breeds. For example, pet-quality papillons in my area run about $1500 (on a spay/neuter contract, so they cannot be bred or shown). Show/breeding-quality ones cost much more.

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
Here's a tip. Nearly all dogs are fast, unless they are under-exercised or obese.

A basset in good shape is surprisingly athletic - even with those short little legs. (I'm not actually suggesting a basset. They are well over 20 pounds.)

As for ease-of-training: That is more dependent on the trainer than on the trainee.

I am unclear about what your pickle is, exactly - trying to decide what kind of dog to get or how to pay for it?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I'm not in favor of any soon to be 16yr old owning a dog. They can say the dog will come with them when they leave but the next decade will be very busy for a person this age. If the parents want to get a dog, thats one thing but a kid?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
What concerns me the most is that it seems like you will be the one paying for everything towards getting the dog, but who is taking care of vet bills? The first year of a puppy's life can be expensive. There was a thread not to kind ago about the cost of annual vet bills, so I'd look that up if I were you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm not in favor of any soon to be 16yr old owning a dog. They can say the dog will come with them when they leave but the next decade will be very busy for a person this age. If the parents want to get a dog, thats one thing but a kid?
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this, ESPECIALLY if they are telling you you are on your own with expenses and care. A dog will live 10-15 years and, at 16, you really have no idea what your life will be like at 30 and whether it will accomodate a dog. Would your parents keep the dog if you couldn't? If they won't help with expenses, I'd be worried about veterinary care, even if you do manage to save enough to pay for the dog and it's initial needs. It can be very expensive and you never know what will happen. I keep quite a bit of money in a savings account for veterinary expenses, increasing the savings for each animal I acquire. I don't want to be in a position of having to make a hard choice for purely financial reasons.

My young son "has" a dog, but she is ultimately my responsibility and I oversee and manage all care, do things he can't and pay the bills. On paper and in practicality, I own the dog and am responsible for her, but he calls her "his" and provides a lot of her care. Satisfies his desire for a dog of his own without taking unnecessary risks with the dog's future welfare.

·
Registered
948 Posts
It is perfectly reasonable for the OP to ask for a dog and plan for its future; it's his job to think about things like that. This answer is for the parents.

Four years ago, when my daughter was a sophomore in high school she wanted her own dog. We agreed with full knowledge that the dog would be ours in two years. He's a great dog and a joy to have around, why wouldn't I say yes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thats very true, but i think if someones up for the challenge, I don't see why not. It would be harder to keep a dog, but some people have full time jobs with a kid in college and the years after, so I see no reason why someone could not handle the dog. It would require some good time management, but I support the idea to someone responsible.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I wish ALL teenagers were in the perfect position to properly care for a dog all on their own. That would be awesome!
Most are not, however. Their lives & situations can change so quickly and dramatically and the poor dog gets left in the dust.

Look up all the "HELP!" threads...you'll see why many here are concerned about the "my parents are letting me have my own dog" scenario.
Not saying the OP would be one of these teens. Just "seen" it too many times here.

OP -there are way too many breeds to list that would meet your criteria. Small, fast, smart. hmmm....LOL =) Maybe if you have not already, volunteering at a shelter may give you some insight as to what personality you might be interested in.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
DustyCrockett, you are correct that it's reasonable to ask for a dog but most teens don't know where life is heading. Neither do adults but as our adults, that's our choice. I am sure everyone here knows adults who shouldn't have a dog. Considering the OP said he has to pay for everything for the dog, I'm guessing these aren't the parents that are going to care for this dog if need be. JMO but pets should be the responsibility of the parents, at least when it comes to paying for it.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
If the reason that your parents expect you to pay for it is to teach responsibility and make the dog more "yours" then I see no issue. If they expect you to pay for it because money is tight (like for so many people nowadays) then that could be a problem. Dogs aren't cheap to begin with for the basic month-to-month costs and vet bills can come out of the blue.

If your parents are supportive AND able to help you pay for anything out of the ordinary or over a certain amount (as in, they'll split the cost of training class or neutering or whatever) AND are not just willing to take the dog on full-time if you move away to college but HAPPY to take the dog full time, then it could work.

Showing is expensive and requires a lot of time and travel and effort. You could consider a shelter dog and join the AKC "Canine Partners" program for mixed dogs which allows you to compete in some of the sport type events that aren't breed specific.

As for breeds, like BellaPup says, there are a number of both purebreds and mixed breed dogs that fit your needs, try browsing both petfinder.com and other websites plus your local shelter. For example, a Jack Russel or JRT/mix is a common dog in a shelter and fits your minimal requests for the most part. And remember, smart does not necessarily mean easily trained... it often means the opposite because the dog will out think you :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just wanted to share my experience. I got Josie from a rescue and within the first four months I managed to spend close to $2000 on her. Now I like to shop so maybe that could have been cut down to $1500 and it did include all of her vet bills as well as purchasing her and the crate and such. She currently runs me about $100 a month, $35 for food, $15 for flee stuff, $36 for 3 roll up sticks a week, and at least $14 on various toys or harnesses or whatever I think she must have in an average month. This does not include the $100 I have to spend yearly on vet visits assuming she only has to go in for checkups. I’m not suggesting you don’t get a dog, just make sure you can afford it and talk to your parents about how they can help on months where money is tight.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I had my own dog at the age of 14. I was very responsible as a child. It is possible IMO for some young people to handle the responsibility physically. Monetarily is a different story. It is expensive and you never know what the health of your new furry friend is truly going to be. I say if Mom and Dad can help with the financial end if you need help in a tight spot .... and you feel you are very responsible ... go for it. But beware that it is like having another person around ... it is time consuming and you cannot just put them away when you are bored with them ... or you could have a problem on your hands from ignoring the pups needs.

Also I would like to mention that when you get a puppy you never know what it's temperament or it abilities to learn are going to be. I suggest you read the thread I have posted on " Help ... I have the Devil's Dog! "

This is what is possible even though you know or think you know what you have when it comes to a pup or training. This is just to make you think and make a wise choice.... not to frighten you or deter you from getting a dog. But I know my first dog was not a pup. It was much easier to handle. Maybe you could consider a mature dog from a rescue or even a mature dog from a reputable breeder

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
The parents stating that they are not willing to pay for the dog could be just at the start, or it could be long term... definelty soemthing I would as them about first... if they expect you to pay for the puppy, the toys, food, standard vet bill, then that is one thing, as all of that can be calculated and balparked to let you know what you need to save up before picking a pup and to also show you that this dog will be YOUR responsability... it is a lot of money to dish out at the begining... however, if the dog gets sick and needs extra care, you definalty want to ensure that they would be willing to help you out if you needed it... (by way of a loan or whatever). Becuase IMO, if you are not prepared for that, then you are setting your self up for failure.. I am 28, and JUST got a dog because I am only now financially in a position to do so... even thought I have been wanting one for a few years...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think this kid is committed. I guess I assume the parents know their responsibility, you can delegate it but you're still the backstop, kinda like co-signing a loan.

Relatives offered our kids a dog (they were 8 & 9 at the time), I drafted a contract which we all signed, spelling out their responsibilities and ours, specifying the consequences of a breach (we promised to make sure his new home was a good fit). In the end he grew too big and unruly for the kids, but I'd bonded with him, so he became mine. Turned out to be the best dog ever.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I don't agree with this. I got Callie when I was 16, and the only reason that she is currently with my parents is because I am only allowed one dog, so I took the one with SA.

If a kid has a set will to do something, it can be done. Yeah, its going to be hard... but the OP said that they will be taking a dog-related course: that makes it MUCH easier, IMO.

OP, I have no breed suggestions for you, but I think that you should visit the shelter in your area and see if there are any dogs that fit your description. You'd be surprised: in the rural shelter I got all of my shelter dogs from, they frequently had small dogs, like beautiful shelties, cute dapple dachshunds, pomeranians, etc.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I'm not in favor of any irresponsible person getting a dog whether they are 16, 27, 36, or... well, you see where I'm going. I have no idea if the OP is responsible or irresponsible, but age isn't the deciding factor AFAIAC.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I don't agree with this. I got Callie when I was 16, and the only reason that she is currently with my parents is because I am only allowed one dog, so I took the one with SA.

If a kid has a set will to do something, it can be done. Yeah, its going to be hard... but the OP said that they will be taking a dog-related course: that makes it MUCH easier, IMO.

OP, I have no breed suggestions for you, but I think that you should visit the shelter in your area and see if there are any dogs that fit your description. You'd be surprised: in the rural shelter I got all of my shelter dogs from, they frequently had small dogs, like beautiful shelties, cute dapple dachshunds, pomeranians, etc.
You may or may not be the exception; I believe I said that some adults aren't responsible either. Also, I bet if a 16yr old "owns" a dog and it bites someone, the parents will be responsible, not the teen. Sorry, I have strong feelings about teens owning much of anything.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Maybe it's just my experience, but I know tons of teens that have "owned" dogs. Plenty of them still have the dog, and they are well taken care of. Not everyone goes to college, and not everyone decides to live on campus. As long as the parents are willing to keep/take care of the dog while the kid "goes to college", then there isn't a problem. If the parents are not able to help at all financially as a backup, then there is a problem.

I got my puppy when I was 11. I still to this day manage all of the care, including financial now that I am an adult. I went to live on campus for a year, but I would not have if my parents didn't want to keep my dog with them. Having a dog at a younger age taught me a lot. No matter what.. there is no GOOD time to get a dog. No getting puppy for kids, no letting teen get puppy, no getting puppy before having baby, no getting puppy while your kids are toddlers. Basically that limits you to no dog until you are 30 if your family wants you to be the "responsibility holder".

I understand why people have concerns, but there ARE responsible kids. Just because you see and hear all about the bad ones, doesn't mean the majority of them are.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts