Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Papillon Chihuahua mix, 3mos
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help breaking thru to a 3mo old Chi/Pap mix. Ignores recall. Does Ok in specific training sessions but then goes back to unruly behavior. Jax is a rescue who was returned by his first adopter. Yay for me! Potty training is slow but I’ve only had him 2wks. Jaxx is not my first dog but is my first Chi. Any help please!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Why should the dog come to you? Because you said so is not the answer.

First teach the dog his name. Use food. Say his name and give him food. You can feed him all his meals this way for a day or so. He should start coming to you when you say his name. Do the same thing with your recall word. Say the recall word and feed him. Start right next to him. Add distance gradually. Walk him outside on leash.

The object is to give the dog a good reason to come when called. Food is typically a good reason. You will have to carry food on you for about the first year.

There is a book you can get called Really Reliable Recall. It gives instructions and is easy to follow and it is short. This is to develop a recal word where the dog comes NO MATTER WHAT if there is an emergency such as the dog in immediate danger.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
He's a three month old puppy. He probably doesn't actually know a recall yet. He does well in training sessions because they are structured. It will take time for what he learns in them to generalize to other places. "Sit" in the living room doesn't mean that "sit" has the same meaning in the kitchen. Same with "come". Even the dogs who compete at the highest levels of competition obdeneice need to learn that cues have the same meaning, no matter where they are given.

As far as house training, being a mix of two toy breeds, he's got a really small bladder. Assuming you are training him to go outside, take him out as soon as he wakes up, as soon as he's done eating (at least three times a day at this age), after he's been playing a while, after he's gotten a long slurp of water, and every twenty minutes just because. If you are using pads (and be resigned to them for his lifetime, if you are), then use the same formula, only take him to his pad instead of outside.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO
1 - 3 of 3 Posts