Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my three yr old beagle mix has slept in my mom's bed or just any were she wants to. I have tried countless times to try to get her to sleep in her own bed but she just wont do it. One way I tried was laying on the couch (her bed is in there) and just watching her ALL NIGHT and every time she got up I would place her back in the dog bed.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Agreed. I don't think you can make your dog sleep on a bed. I mean, you can train your stays impeccably, but it seems like more trouble than it's worth when there are other solutions out there. You can, however, make them sleep in a crate.

You could try putting the bed in an X-Pen and leaving her in it at night, too. But again, it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the crate on the first night we had her. She wined and howled all night. Finaly gave up at 4AM.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Tried the crate on the first night we had her. She wined and howled all night. Finaly gave up at 4AM.
When my parents brought my brother home they put him in his crib. He immediately began to cry. They fed him, changed him, and played with him then put him back in there. He immediately started crying again. Since they knew there was nothing wrong with him and they knew he needed to sleep, they left him in there. Eventually he learned to sleep in his crib and not with mom and dad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When we first got Gir, we made her sleep in her crate. She was just a little puppy, and I didn't want any doggie accidents all over the house, especially in my bed.
Now that she's older and house trained, she sleeps in bed with me.
If you don't want the dog in your bed, and if the dog bed just doesn't work, go with a crate. The dog may hate it at first, but eventually she'll adapt and get used to it.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Hmmm. Crating is certainly a good management tool but how about actually TRAINING the dog to sleep in it's bed. Training is not just putting him there repeatedly. Training is teaching him it is more rewarding to be in his bed than anywhere else.
First off..does your mum truly want him to NOT sleep in the bed? You didn't mention her wishes..I personally have no issue with my dog or my cats on the bed providing I don't have a resource guarding issue about it (it IS my bed..lol).
If your mum does not want the dog on the bed she should put him off the bed each and every time he gets up, or even better, catching him BEFORE he makes the leap and then lure him to HIS bed and reward him. The more he gets rewarded for being on his bed, the more he will choose to be there. Simple operant conditioning. The dog offers the behaviour that is REWARDED. Eventually you put it on cue "go to your bed" or "bedtime" or whatever and he will learn to stay there. It takes consistency and practice and some really good treats.

Stubborn dogs are only stubborn because their humans have not figured out the value and timing of reward based training.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts