Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone my dog who is 9 and a half boxer ,about a month of so ago i noticed blood in her wee, took her to vets she had an infection 10 days of antibiotics then fine then got another infection, more antibiotics and i done a crystal test where it was found she had quite a few crystals, she was put on hills sd canned food for 4 weeks,
were coming up to the 4 weeks now shes going to be tested on wednesday for crystals, her hp level has gone from 9 back to 5 so hopefully the food is doping some good
if crystals has gone then she will go on the hills cd dry ood, just wondering if anyones dog has had these then gone back onto normal food
she cant have any treats and shes walking around trying to pinch the parrot food lol

thanks guys

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
You could ask your vet if she could still also have the s/d in the canned ... as you an cut that into slices and bake on 350 degrees ... until they are good and done ... then freeze then for treats. You would only need the canned for the treats.

I just did this a couple weeks ago.

I baked mine for approximately 30-40 minutes. They were approximately one inch slices. My little guy had to have treats too ... he lived to eat. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 4 yr old Shih Tzu was also diagnosed with struvite crystals about a year ago. He was supposed to be on the prescribed diet as well but after reading the ingredients I decided to look for alternatives. Along with the 10 days of antibiotics, he also got 1 Methio-Form tablet/day to acidify his urine. After talking at length with my vet about it, he has been switched to a dehydrated raw diet that I rehydrate at twice the amount of water suggested so that he gets extra water each day. He also eats a tbsp of probiotic yogurt once a day. He gets offal or tripe regularly in addition to raw meaty bones as a treat. He has only had one recurrance of bladder irritation from the crystals and only needed a few days of Methio-Form and extra water to fix the issue.

The prescribed diet foods are high in sodium to make the dog drink more and they don't have much nutritional value at all. I don't know if our solution will work for other dogs but it's working for us! Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts