Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one fur baby was diagnosed last June with Struvite stones and was on the medicated urinary So dog food. It was awful and he ate it for a month then stopped. His weight has increased tremendously. We have tried everything we even went to a nutritionist. we can't seem to get his weight down at all and it's been a year almost. Does anyone have any ideas or help with new food ideas to help with his weight and his stones so they don't come back?

Thank you anything can help!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
My Dobe had struvite crystals when she was younger and from what I have read and what the Vet said, that unless they have a UTI there is no reason to change their diet. The Vet contacted Science Diet and they said not to change the diet as she was still a puppy at that time. She is over two years now and has never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Never had Struvite with my dog, but have with my cat.
He said the more important thing was to make sure he's getting enough water to break down the crystals before he pees. So I had him on wet food mixed with the special urinary food they give you. I also added water to his wet food until it was almost a soupy consistency and he would eat/drink it up. I did everything I could to make sure he was drinking more than usual to the point when he got really bad I orally gave him a syringe of water three times a day.
He's still on the food just because it's convenient (we buy the dog food there already) and he's had no issues besides disinterest in it.

That being said you are supposed to change the diet to help with the pH levels in the urine and to help to dissolve the crystals. Or at least that's what I was told and have read. You don't have to STICK with that specific diet forever though. They recommend to stick with the diet until the crystals are gone and then at least a month afterwards. But there are more than one Urinary diet out there. Your vets office should have at least two of them there. So if you're struggling with weight you could move to a different brand and see if that makes a difference?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts