Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just adopted a 9 month old German Hunting Terrier from a local shelter. He is a very sweet dog and we love him, but........ he is such a strange behaving breed. We knew the the breed could be very challenging. He is terrible on a leash!!! When I try to take him on a walk.... he does this insanely loud whimper/squeal the whole time. It's embarassing and unacceptably loud. He acts like he's after something. Like maybe he's trying to impress me with his intensity and tracking ability? . It's so bad that I have to take him home. We really do not know anything about dog training.

So we are very worried about this breed. At only 25lbs he has insane strength and energy. (for this reason he scares the crap out of our 2 year old yorkie). Apparently they really need to feel like a they have a purpose in life...i.e, being an active hunting partner. So do you think that his bad behaviour on the leash is curable? Or is it just a characteristic of such a focused hunting terrier breed? Characterisic of a puppy? Maybe will he get better with age? This breed needs a lot of exercise and a very active lifestyle. I am an avid runner so we thought he would be perfect for us. But if I am never going to be able to get him behaving on his leash, we might need to take him back to the shelter. Do you think I at least have hope? Please let me know if you have any advice or tips.... specifically for this type of dog.

Thank you so much for any help you can give!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts