Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved to this current house about 1 month ago. At the old house, she was starting to get pretty good towards the end with not having accidents. She would poop once in a while but never peed

After we moved to the house, she pooped a few times the first couple weeks. Since then, she hasn't pooped but has peed multiple times times. Every time we clean the house with the material that destroys enzymes to help prevent repeated markings (we got it from pet store). Today, she peed inside house 1 hour after she went outside - my fiancee went crazy and slapped her. She peed right in front of my fiancee

I crate train her, she never has accidents in the crate. I only let her outside for 1 - 2 hours after I put her in crate, then I leave her inside crate for couple hours and then I take her out (so basically every 4 hours I'm taking her out). I watch her constantly. Even being so super careful, she still has accidents. I dunno what to do. I give her treats, I praise her very very hard when she does her business outside. My fiancee has slapped her and scolded her a few times after having accidents. I try to get her to not be so harsh but she goes crazy. She's having accidents in different spots too - she used to poop upstairs, yesterday she peed in carpet downstairs. Today, she peed on the hardwood. I can't even say it's her trying to refresh it

What's going on here? Should I take her to a vet? Last time I took her to vet 4 weeks ago, everything looked great. She's super healthy

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
First, this needs to be said. If I had a girlfriend/fiancee/wife that slapped my dog, that would be the absolute end of that relationship. No second chance. If your dog decided to defend herself, things could get tragic in a hurry. Regardless, it's not acceptable and it's not at all helpful.

I think sometimes people go to the vet for a general checkup or to address a specific issue and expect that all possible ailments will be checked and eliminated. Lots can happen in four weeks so, yes, I'd be making another appointment.

If there is no UTI or other medical issue, I'd be literally tethering her to me or, when that's impossible, crating her. She would NEVER have the run of the house. I would treat her like a puppy and take her outside every 60 minutes. Not LET HER OUTSIDE - go with her so you know when the mission is accomplished and can reward her extravagantly. And never, ever punish her (even with a raised voice) when she has "accidents." That is completely counter-productive and will just encourage her to be more secretive.

Reactions: LMH1012

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, this needs to be said. If I had a girlfriend/fiancee/wife that slapped my dog, that would be the absolute end of that relationship. No second chance. If your dog decided to defend herself, things could get tragic in a hurry. Regardless, it's not acceptable and it's not at all helpful.

I think sometimes people go to the vet for a general checkup or to address a specific issue and expect that all possible ailments will be checked and eliminated. Lots can happen in four weeks so, yes, I'd be making another appointment.

If there is no UTI or other medical issue, I'd be literally tethering her to me or, when that's impossible, crating her. She would NEVER have the run of the house. I would treat her like a puppy and take her outside every 60 minutes. Not LET HER OUTSIDE - go with her so you know when the mission is accomplished and can reward her extravagantly. And never, ever punish her (even with a raised voice) when she has "accidents." That is completely counter-productive and will just encourage her to be more secretive.

You didn't read the original post

She never goes anywhere without me or without my fiancee. Both of us watch her very very closely. We take her outside on a leash only

She peed right in front of my fiancee today so she's not getting more secretive, she simply doesn't seem to care

I can put her in the crate and she can hold it for 10 hours. Why would she pee 1 hour after she already peed?

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I did read your post. I don't think you read mine. I give up. Good luck.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm with RonE - if I had a fiance who abused my dog, either the fiancee would go or the dog would be off to a better home. That's something you need to work out. The dog peed right in front of your fiancee after being hit because for dogs that's submissive behavior. They do it when they're afraid or intimidated. Some young dogs do it involuntarily when they're excited, but that's not what you're describing.

Every 4 hours out isn't often enough for a 7-month old, especially one that isn't yet housebroken. Get her out every 2 or - even 1 for a while if you can - and yes, go with her, don't just let her out. Make sure she goes, and don't rush her right back inside immediately after. That only starts dogs holding it because they don't want to go inside right away, or in some cases with dogs that don't completely eliminate in a single go, they still have more to get rid of after they're back inside. Sure it's a pain in the neck, but if you're faithful about it, it only lasts a couple of months.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, I didn't see your second post, so I'll add - I sleep all night without getting up to pee. During the day, I don't go 8 hours without a bathroom break. I assume it has something to do with being up and active. Whatever it is, dogs seem to have it too. Glad to hear you walk her on a leash. I have a female dog that if I walked on a leash would pee at least 5 times in half a mile. They can be markers just like males, which means with one like that if you go inside after a single squat, they may have quite a bit left. But I would ask the vet to check a urine sample to be sure there's no UTI.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I didn't see your second post, so I'll add - I sleep all night without getting up to pee. During the day, I don't go 8 hours without a bathroom break. I assume it has something to do with being up and active. Whatever it is, dogs seem to have it too. Glad to hear you walk her on a leash. I have a female dog that if I walked on a leash would pee at least 5 times in half a mile. They can be markers just like males, which means with one like that if you go inside after a single squat, they may have quite a bit left. But I would ask the vet to check a urine sample to be sure there's no UTI.
What's weird is the peeing thing just came out of nowhere

She had no peeing accidents at all from like 4-6 months

I'm starting to feel almost hopeless that she'll ever be housebroken. It's especially discouraging because we watch her extremely closely

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You watch her. Fine. Are you feeding her on a regular schedule? Are you taking her out on a regular schedule? Are you making sure that she is actually empty before you come back in? Is she still having GI issues? Is she coming into season? Is she on any medication?

Reactions: LMH1012

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You watch her. Fine. Are you feeding her on a regular schedule? Are you taking her out on a regular schedule? Are you making sure that she is actually empty before you come back in? Is she still having GI issues? Is she coming into season? Is she on any medication?

She is on no medication
What do you mean coming into season?
She has never peed more than once. I mean a few times she peed a very very tiny amount second time but it was a truly tiny amount
Yes we feed her on regular schedule
We take her out every 3-4 hours

She's 7 months old, she should be able to hold it 6-7 hours. Without the crate, I wouldn't let her go 2 hours without going out. It's very discouraging

·
Registered
513 Posts
At 7 months old, she is still VERY much a puppy. And, as such, you should very much expect that there will be mistakes made & some backsliding in training (house & otherwise) It happens. You simply take a few steps back & return to a more basic mode. You can't think in terms of what she "should" be able to do - you need to look at the puppy right in front of you & make your plan based on what she is actually, right now, telling you what she can do.

If she needs to go out every hour for a while to get back on track, then that's what you do. If she can't be trusted out of the crate or out of sight, then you don't leave her unattended for one solitary minute. Crate, or tether her to you and get yourself in the habit of more frequent potty runs for the next few weeks. Then slowly stretch the time in between them as she remains accident free. It's not forever - just until you can create a SOLID habit of only pottying outside. By the time she is a year old or so you will probably be able to slack off a bit - or maybe not. Again - work with the puppy in front of you & stop trying to get her to conform to what you think she should be & be doing.

PS - If she's not spayed, "coming into season" is referring to her perhaps being at the start of her first heat cycle.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At 7 months old, she is still VERY much a puppy. And, as such, you should very much expect that there will be mistakes made & some backsliding in training (house & otherwise) It happens. You simply take a few steps back & return to a more basic mode. You can't think in terms of what she "should" be able to do - you need to look at the puppy right in front of you & make your plan based on what she is actually, right now, telling you what she can do.

If she needs to go out every hour for a while to get back on track, then that's what you do. If she can't be trusted out of the crate or out of sight, then you don't leave her unattended for one solitary minute. Crate, or tether her to you and get yourself in the habit of more frequent potty runs for the next few weeks. Then slowly stretch the time in between them as she remains accident free. It's not forever - just until you can create a SOLID habit of only pottying outside. By the time she is a year old or so you will probably be able to slack off a bit - or maybe not. Again - work with the puppy in front of you & stop trying to get her to conform to what you think she should be & be doing.

PS - If she's not spayed, "coming into season" is referring to her perhaps being at the start of her first heat cycle.
I'm getting her fixed next week. Will that help?

Another weird thing is now she doesn't want treats anymore after peeing or pooping. She used to want treats after peeing but not pooping. Now I have to force her to take it and she still doesn't want it

Is this because my fiancee has scolded her and slapped her a few times?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Coming into season = starting her heat cycle.

And yes, you might be expecting too much of her still. My GSD was nearly two years old before she quit needing an early morning potty run. We went to bed, and she had her bedtime potty trip, between 11:30 to midnight. Normal get up time was around 7:00, but Leo needed to go out anywhere between 5:00 and 6:00. If I ignored, or didn't hear, her fussing, I would be cleaning a dog and crate when I got up.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My fiancee walked her today for 25 minutes, didn't poop

Comes inside house and poops like 15 minutes later. Wtf? My fiancee was watching her too

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coming into season = starting her heat cycle.

And yes, you might be expecting too much of her still. My GSD was nearly two years old before she quit needing an early morning potty run. We went to bed, and she had her bedtime potty trip, between 11:30 to midnight. Normal get up time was around 7:00, but Leo needed to go out anywhere between 5:00 and 6:00. If I ignored, or didn't hear, her fussing, I would be cleaning a dog and crate when I got up.
A couple times I fell asleep and forgot to wake up, my dog stayed in exercise pen for 10 hours with no problems

Multiple times she has had accidents 1 hour after taking out. Today she had accident 15 minutes after going out after a 25 minute long walk around neighborhood.

What's going on here? Also what's weird is she doesn't want treats anymore after toileting. I have to force it in her mouth. She loves treats rest of the time. Is it because we scolded her so now she thinks we don't want her to toilet?

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
A couple times I fell asleep and forgot to wake up, my dog stayed in exercise pen for 10 hours with no problems

Multiple times she has had accidents 1 hour after taking out. Today she had accident 15 minutes after going out after a 25 minute long walk around neighborhood.

What's going on here? Also what's weird is she doesn't want treats anymore after toileting. I have to force it in her mouth. She loves treats rest of the time. Is it because we scolded her so now she thinks we don't want her to toilet?
Most likely, she now thinks it's scary/wrong to go to the bathroom in front of you, because she has been punished for it. That's why punishing doesn't work. Very likely, you will have to take her out instead of your fiance for potty breaks while your fiance works to repair the relationship. And I'd be making it crystal clear to your fiance that under NO terms is she EVER to hit or yell at that poor dog ever again.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most likely, she now thinks it's scary/wrong to go to the bathroom in front of you, because she has been punished for it. That's why punishing doesn't work. Very likely, you will have to take her out instead of your fiance for potty breaks while your fiance works to repair the relationship. And I'd be making it crystal clear to your fiance that under NO terms is she EVER to hit or yell at that poor dog ever again.
So how is she able to hold it for 10 hours inside crate with no problems and then she has accident 15 minutes after we take her out today?

And she doesn't want treat from me either when I walk her

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think you're putting too much pressure on her regarding the entire pottying thing & it's stressing her out. Being scolded for going in the house can absolutely make her think that it's the 'pottying' that's bad, not the location of where it happened. This could be why she is holding it until she absolutely can't anymore.

Forcing a treat in her mouth is only going to make things worse. If she's refusing treats after pottying that she normally will readily eat, that tells you how stressed out she is about the entire thing!

My suggestion would be to be as casual as possible from this point forward. Every hour on the hour just casually take her for a stroll. If she does anything, just quietly praise "Oh, such a wonderful girl..." and try dropping a treat on the ground as you walk on. If she does make a mistake in the house - for goodness sake, do not make a big deal out of it. Just keep her tethered to you so if you see any signs that she's about to do something, you can just quickly & happily lead her outside to finish.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I think you're focusing exclusively on the "why?" and ignoring a lot of good advice (that you asked for.) I'm sorry to say it, but that seems to be a pattern.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
First of all, back up. You are TRAINING the dog to pee/poop outside. This is not a question of being able to "hold it." It is a question of training the dog to pee and poop outside instead of inside. DROP the "she can hold it 10 hours at night in a crate" thinking. Yes she can. That is not teaching her that going to the bathroom outside is right.

I would do this:
Take her out first thing in the day. Praise her for any going outside like she just won the million dollar lottery. Make the event happy. Bring her in and IMMEDIATELY crate her. Do not allow her to be loose in the house AT ALL. If she did not go to the bathroom outside, in 30 minutes take her out AGAIN and give it another go. Rinse. Repeat. NEVER let her out of the Crate in the house unless on a leash and you go out with her. Bring her back in and in the crate she goes.

NO negative behavior from you at all. You are training ONE THING and that ONE THING is to go to the bathroom OUTSIDE and going to the bathroom OUTSIDE brings wonderful things. The more often she is successful and gets wonderful things (you playing with her, delectable treats etc.) the more you are reinforcing going to the bathroom OUTSIDE is a GOOD THING.

I do not know what treats you are giving her. Change them to something really good. Cheese, hot dogs, Deli roast beef.. not some milk bone or other dog treats.

Last thing... she was much improved in the last house over this house. That is not surprising. Here is an epiphany for you: Dogs do NOT GENERALIZE behavior to new locations. You can train your dog to Sit in the house. When you go outside, you need to retrain Sit because the dog associates Sit with doing it is the house, not outside. After about 20 different locations training Sit, your dog has generalized the command to Sit any where you ask for it.

The same goes for house training. The dog was well on her way to being house trained in the former house. Then you moved. This is not the same (to the dog). The CRATE is, so she does not go in the crate but the HOUSE is different and all bets are off in a new house. Retrain her to go to the bathroom outside in this house.

And yes, Dogs can be a LOT of work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts