Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
242 Posts
I understand, just didn't want mis-information spread.

i do agree OP shouldn't do such things, nobody should unless with a professional

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so I figured out a way to have her eat - she is crazy about peanut butter. I hide the peanut butter under her kibbles and she eats it all

is this ok long term? Is this just a phase? Is 2 tablespoons of peanut butter everyday too much for her you guys think?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
so I figured out a way to have her eat - she is crazy about peanut butter. I hide the peanut butter under her kibbles and she eats it all

is this ok long term? Is this just a phase? Is 2 tablespoons of peanut butter everyday too much for her you guys think?
What does she weigh now?

How many calories is she eating in dry food?

How do you expect good advice without anything real to base it on?

Edit to add:
i see in another post that you say she is showing stress or fear regarding treats after being slapped.

if humans around her food is stressing her out, then all this messing with her food and urging her to eat and tossing her kibble to her is only making it worse.

Put a single appropriate serving in a bowl. Leave her completely alone to eat for 20-30 minutes.

Calmly remove uneaten food after 30 mins.

This is assuming no health issues and a normal appetite absent the human caused stress

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Small amounts as a treat are fine. Large amounts (and 2 TBS is pushing it) can lead to digestive upsets and pancreatitis.

Editing to add: If you feed peanut butter, make sure it does NOT contain xylitol! Xylitol is toxic to dogs, and even a small amount can be deadly!

Go to a store (grocery store, Target, the Great Satan... uh, Walmart... whatever). Go to the kitchen area. Buy a 1 cup measuring cup and/or a kitchen scale. Use that to measure out the amount of food recommended on the package for her weight. Put the food in her dish. Plain. No peanut better, no extra goodies, nothing except maybe a bit of water. Put her dish on the floor. Then walk away and leave her to eat in peace. Don't hover. Don't urge her to start eating. Don't urge her to keep eating. Just put it down and leave the room for about 20 minutes or so. If she eats it all, that's fine, calmly pick up the bowl and feed her again at her next mealtime. If she doesn't eat it all, that's fine, calmly pick up the bowl and feed her again at her next regular mealtime. The more you hover, the more anxious she is going to get about eating. The more anxious she gets about eating, the less likely she is to eat.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I thought I'd share this just for fun since we are talking about genetics and fitness and weight.

Anyone want to guess what amount of exercise and type/amount of food for this dog's body condition?

·
Banned
242 Posts
2-3 cups of Dog food high quality dog food w/ a good amount of protien OR Raw.. can't decide., Moderate Exersise such as Biking, Flirt pole, other dog play?

My Aunts dog looks alot like that just from her rapidly running around the house and launching herself off couches. she's skinny and BUFF in the theighs

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Small amounts as a treat are fine. Large amounts (and 2 TBS is pushing it) can lead to digestive upsets and pancreatitis.

Editing to add: If you feed peanut butter, make sure it does NOT contain xylitol! Xylitol is toxic to dogs, and even a small amount can be deadly!

Go to a store (grocery store, Target, the Great Satan... uh, Walmart... whatever). Go to the kitchen area. Buy a 1 cup measuring cup and/or a kitchen scale. Use that to measure out the amount of food recommended on the package for her weight. Put the food in her dish. Plain. No peanut better, no extra goodies, nothing except maybe a bit of water. Put her dish on the floor. Then walk away and leave her to eat in peace. Don't hover. Don't urge her to start eating. Don't urge her to keep eating. Just put it down and leave the room for about 20 minutes or so. If she eats it all, that's fine, calmly pick up the bowl and feed her again at her next mealtime. If she doesn't eat it all, that's fine, calmly pick up the bowl and feed her again at her next regular mealtime. The more you hover, the more anxious she is going to get about eating. The more anxious she gets about eating, the less likely she is to eat.
What about just putting the food in her exercise pen? I keep her in that instead of a crate as I'm still potty training her and she hates the pen

What should I do if it doesn't help?

What do you make of this problem only starting when I switched brands? She was eating the old stuff like crazy

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
2-3 cups of Dog food high quality dog food w/ a good amount of protien OR Raw.. can't decide., Moderate Exersise such as Biking, Flirt pole, other dog play?

My Aunts dog looks alot like that just from her rapidly running around the house and launching herself off couches. she's skinny and BUFF in the theighs
The first photo is the day after I pulled her from a county animal shelter where she'd been kenneled with minimal exercise, basically potty breaks, and eating the cheapest possible random selection of donated food (think Beneful type)

The second is about a month later, just normal long walks and yard play and eating about 1000 calories (2.5 cups or so) of a midrange 30/20 dry food.

Barring medical conditions, basically any dog can be fit and have a healthy weight but the dogs used to advertise BullyMax and similar supplements have genetics like that dog. It helps to keep that in mind when evaluating one's dog's fitness

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ooooh, I always enjoy things like this. Here are my two. Yes, the GSD's butt has been clipped. I got distracted by life (hurricanes, etc.) and wasn't as diligent about grooming as I should have been, and rather than trying to get the mats out of her pantaloons, I took the electric clippers to them.

2020-9-23 Dogs in Yard DSC_0055 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Pet condition, since we haven't been able to walk in months (we have finally started again, yay). There is a 20 pound different between them. Guess how much they eat per day.

AS far as how much Shell's girl gets, I'm going with two to three cups of quality kibble and a couple of hours of walking per day, as well as free play in the yard.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The first photo is the day after I pulled her from a county animal shelter where she'd been kenneled with minimal exercise, basically potty breaks, and eating the cheapest possible random selection of donated food (think Beneful type)

The second is about a month later, just normal long walks and yard play and eating about 1000 calories (2.5 cups or so) of a midrange 30/20 dry food.

Barring medical conditions, basically any dog can be fit and have a healthy weight but the dogs used to advertise BullyMax and similar supplements have genetics like that dog. It helps to keep that in mind when evaluating one's dog's fitness

My girl is very very muscular, I'm not worried about that

She is just not eating. All this happened when I tried to make her eat the blue buffalo brand. She was eating every ounce of the bully max like a ravenous monster before I switched brands and now she won't eat the bully max much either unless I keep bribing her with peanut butter

So do I keep on with the bully max, do I switch brands? What do you guys recommend ?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
My girl is very very muscular, I'm not worried about that

She is just not eating. All this happened when I tried to make her eat the blue buffalo brand. She was eating every ounce of the bully max like a ravenous monster before I switched brands and now she won't eat the bully max much either unless I keep bribing her with peanut butter

So do I keep on with the bully max, do I switch brands? What do you guys recommend ?
I recommend telling us how much she weighs and how much she is currently eating

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I recommend telling us how much she weighs and how much she is currently eating
I don't know how much she weighs but she looks very healthy. She is a taller pitbull - she is not as stocky as the one in this thread but she is still rock solid

She is not eating much. It's hard to say cause I'm at work

What do I do though? Do I switch brands? Do I mix the dry food with wet food? The bully max is dry only

·
Super Moderator
11,838 Posts
If you don't know what your dog weighs or how much she's eating, there is NOTHING anyone here can do to help and I strongly suspect you're just playing some silly game.

Take a couple weeks to think about this.

·
Banned
242 Posts
ouh!! heres my dude, he eats trash food since I don't have a job & he's a family dog. No exucses here though!

Ignore his raptor claws they grow fast and I don't always have the time to clip them before they get too long.. oops

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Damn! Those are some genetics there...

wrong quote...

the whole shelter pull day after was what I meant to quote
Yep.

She was a foster back about 8 years ago.

Just a good example of how varied dog structure can be.

The red dog next to her was my late male. He used to run 7-8 miles daily with me inc. hills and never ever had truly visible muscles. A tuck and general leaness in his youth but not the bulk.

He weighed 75-80 lbs and ate about 1000-1400 calories per day, the higher end while running often and the lower as an older dog just walking or free playing

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Ooooh, I always enjoy things like this. Here are my two. Yes, the GSD's butt has been clipped. I got distracted by life (hurricanes, etc.) and wasn't as diligent about grooming as I should have been, and rather than trying to get the mats out of her pantaloons, I took the electric clippers to them.

2020-9-23 Dogs in Yard DSC_0055 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Pet condition, since we haven't been able to walk in months (we have finally started again, yay). There is a 20 pound different between them. Guess how much they eat per day.

AS far as how much Shell's girl gets, I'm going with two to three cups of quality kibble and a couple of hours of walking per day, as well as free play in the yard.
I think they eat about the same. assuming a kibble like Purina ProPlan, 2 cups each. one weighs maybe 55 and the other 75 lbs.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think they eat about the same. assuming a kibble like Purina ProPlan, 2 cups each. one weighs maybe 55 and the other 75 lbs.
Right on the 55 pounds, but wrong on the 75. :) Lily the pittie weighs 35 pounds (small but solid), and Leontine the GSD weighs 55 pounds. Lily gets about 1.5 cups a day, and Leo gets just under 2 cups a day of Pro Plan Salmon and Rice Sensitive Skin and Stomach kibble.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts