Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old husky, and I’m a little worried about over walking her. I know the rule; you can go by either 5mins per month of age or 1-2mins per week of age. I’ve been giving her 2 walks a day - a slow training walk in the morning when there are less distractions and a short walk in the afternoon. It usually it ends up being 30-40 mins total, which I’m aware is a little over, but I try and be mindful of not overexerting her and when she seems to have had enough I tend to carry her home ?. I’m a very active person and - it sounds stupid - but I’m really struggling to keep the distance reasonable. I’ve swapped 5am gym sessions to 5am dog walks (and my hour long lunch time walks/runs to hour long gym sessions, so I spend more time at home). Basically I’m a human husky and can’t sit still for 5 minutes without going crazy. I can’t wait until she’s older so we can do Canicross together.

To add to this, my mother - who has two dogs of her own and has been caring for the puppy when I’m at work - is accusing me of being cruel because I don’t want her taking my puppy out with her two dogs in the daytime. I see her point, apparently the pup howls when she takes her dogs out, but as I’m already going over with her walks (and struggling not to go further) I believe that it would be irresponsible to allow a third walk until she’s a little older. But at the same time, I don’t want to stress out my mum and risk losing a a trustworthy puppy daycarer. I would scrap one of her two walks, but my mum walks her dogs around 9-10am and I feel as though the morning walks are the most important, and there’s too much time between then and the afternoon walk.

I just feel as though the walks should be my priority, not my mum’s just because she has other dogs and I’m getting tired of arguing with her about it (just FYI I’m 28 years old, I just feel as though I should clarify as I sound like a child)

To conclude; how bad is overwalking, any tips to reel myself in and what should I do about my nagging mother?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
How long does your Mom go out with the other dogs? Are they out playing or going for a walk?

Can you walk your puppy 15 minutes in the morning, put her up and go to the Gym then let Mom take the puppy our during the day and you take her out as usual in the evening after work?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Over walking can lead to joint issues or injury later in life, soooo....bad. They might develop joint issues that only elderly dogs typically get if they're forced to overexert their developing bodies, and then you're out your an exercise partner altogether. Especially if its done regularly.

Does your mom HAVE TO watch your puppy? You can attach a pen to the puppy's crate and put pee pads down so the puppy can go potty in the pen area and keep their crate clean. Many people have this setup when their dogs are babies and they can't make it home for lunch for a potty break.

You could also try showing your mom some research as to why puppies should not be walked that much. If she won't listen to that then you might just have to put your puppy's health first and stop using your mom as a caregiver.

Just remember that this is temporary, and you will be much happier with a dog that can participate in physical activities with you for many years to come rather than a dog who was over exercised as a puppy and suffers with degenerating joints or other issues at a relatively young age.

·
Registered
549 Posts
At 13 weeks they don't even have all their shots and shouldn't be walked at all IMO. You need to wait 1-2 weeks after the last shot, which is typically done at 14 weeks... Otherwise, 30-40 minutes during the day doesn't sound that excessive to me, but definitely tell your mom to leave her at home (how in the world can she walk 2 adults and a puppy at the same time anyway?).

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Risk for walking a puppy in terms of vaccination status is highly location dependant. "My mum" makes me think not United States based plus usually 13 weeks means 2 vaccines so it might be quite OK in that regards.

Mix it up-- if your mother really wants to walk her midday, then in the morning you play some games inside or in the garden off leash for training, exercise and bonding time. Then since your mom has taken care of the morning potty needs, you can go for a jog on your own before work or at lunch time.

Or since walking adults plus puppy is more than a handful, encourage your mom to let pup out to pee and play a bit.

IMO, play and mental stimulation and introducing new sights and sounds and smells are all more important for a pup that age than leash walks. It will be a good year at least before you can rely mainly on walking oe jogging with the dog as your main physical exercise for yourself and I'd say 18 months before she really joins in on full distance. In return for patience, you shift the odds in your favor towards a dog that can still be hiking and jogging with you at 10, 11 years of age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Shots
Shell is correct, we’re in the UK. She is fully vaccinated and the vet confirmed we can take her out in urban areas with caution (avoiding water, countryside and rat infested areas) at 11 weeks and fully at 13 weeks (though I’m still avoiding countryside and canals for another week or so, just to be extra cautious). I believe our vaccination course is different in the UK than to the USA as different wildlife and all that means the hierarchy of diseases is a little different (eg. Lepto is rare here, and they’ve only just introduced the Lepto 4 vaccine in recent years as it’s becoming more commonly introduced from continental Europe)

Thanks for your input everyone I think I have a good grasp on what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts