Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 8 month old pup that is basically allergic to the chemicals in rawhide. I have already tried the ears and those give her diarrhea as well. Can anyone give me any suggestions for strong toys besides kongs and raw meat bones (which I've already given her).

I've been trying to mix in some unorthodox treats/chews such as ice cubes, frozen carrots, etc...But just thought I'd see if anyone else has suggestions!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just give her a coffee table leg, hehe..

No, but seriously in the past, I've found that my dogs really enjoy chewing tennis balls, and things of that sort. You could maybe try a racquetball ball, as well, as those are thicker and may be more durable. Check out a local dollar store, they often carry packs of two for a buck (what a steal!) and your pup will chew through them with ferocity. Or maybe a nice braided rope toy? Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Rawhide's not good anyway. Another chew would be a nice raw meaty bone. If she's a strong chewer just stay away from beef weight bearing bones (i.e. leg bones).

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Antler chews are always good. Another good one is one of the rope toys. Soak it and freeze it. It makes a great teething toy.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Nylabone Galileo is excellent for strong chewers. Pepper has gone through 2 now (she is 1.5 years old, we've had her since she was 9 weeks old). They are about $11 and available at any Petsmart and worth every dime.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The tough Kong (black) is pretty good. To make it attractive you can put peanut butter or FF Yogurt or Lverwurst etc. in it and freeze it.

Raw bones are good.

Anything that can form really sharp pieces or chunks that can get stuck on the way trhu (rawhide is indigestable and can cause blockages so it is bad news anyway) is not a good choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts