Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got this question, maybe you guys can help shed light?

Porsche loves the car. She loves going to new places, she gets really excited if we go anywhere near the car, jumps in faster than I can open the door, is totally relaxed during the entire car ride no matter how long. Her tail wags a mile a minute if she thinks we're going for a ride.

And yet, every time she gets in the car, without fail, I will see a yawn between the time she jumps in and we start moving.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Well, being excited about something is a form of stress. Adrenaline can be flowing at the anticipation of a fun car ride. The yawning might be a release of some of that pressure.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
"Calming signals" aren't like a dog calling out how stressed they are. It's just unconscious body language. Taken as a package it may mean stress, but it could mean good stress or bad stress (eustress or distress). And taken along it can just be a random thing with no meaning.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
If someone, including me, hugs my dog, then he will yawn, b/c he does not like to be hugged ... most dogs don't.

If I rub his belly, he will yawn with pleasure. And, if I stop rubbing, he will look me in the eye and yawn at me with displeasure with a wolfmouth full of teeth. :) b/c he does not like it when I stop rubbing his belly.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I've noticed dogs also shake off or yawn after or during something that requires a lot of self control. Like sitting still in the car while they are really excited, or sitting at the door waiting to be released etc. I used to think Pixie was stressy about these things, but she's just self soothing and it's a way to release some energy other than bouncing around like a nutball.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts