Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So we took in a stray cat last Friday night. The cat's been confined to a spare bedroom for the most part. We're trying to find a home for the kitty.

At around the same time, my dog's poop has gotten kind soft. Do you think the excitement of the cat can cause it? He gets really excited when we let the cat out of the bedroom. He tries to play with it, and maybe hump it, but we're not sure.

Our dog is 1.6 years old, collie/shepherd mix.

The cat is male, intact (not neutered). I'm not sure if the cat is up-to-date on its shots. Judging by the circumstances, I think the people just got tired of their cat and decided to let him out in a strange neighborhood. He's definitely an indoor cat.

Is there anything I should worry about in terms of cat germs getting on the dog?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I doubt the excitement would give your dog soft poop. Urination would be more likely. As far as cat germs, I have nothing to add...have no clue. And the cat may have just gotten out of the house and got lost. Poor kitty :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
When Jack gets excited - like when we are at the dog park or on walks, his poop is very soft. Otherwise he had very firm poops. So, I think the excitement can cause soft poops.

I think when your dog gets used to the cat everything should get back to normal.

You can always give your dog some canned pumpkin or cook up a firm fleshed squash and give some that on your dogs kibble. My dogs LOVE squash and they get a tablespoon of it on their kibble and they have very firm poops and it also keeps them pretty regular too. I grow squash mainly for the dogs and this year I had a bumper crop - they should be good all winter!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts