Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strauss had surgery yesterday to repair a nasty hematoma that just WOULDN'T heal.

$894.19 later, he is on the road to recovery.

I spent a LOT of time freaking out, because Mousedog had never been put under anesthesia before. He has been twilighted twice, but never fully put out.

The vet said his bloodwork was absolutely immaculate, and he was in beyond excellent shape. No trouble at all while under anesthesia.

The poor boy is still stoned, 16 hours later.

He is also wearing a cone of shame. We'll be getting him a more comfortable cone tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Give him a pat from me. Poor proud Strauss in a cone of shame.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Glad he did well and on the road to recovery. It is great that he is in such good shape ... you must know what you are doing for sure with the health of your dogs! :) I need that secret! Lol! :)

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Glad he's recovering well. Poor little mousedog, give him some extra huggles from me and my crew!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I hope he recovers well!

The vet gave him the cone? (of shame :p never heard that one before, haha)
Strange, both vets in my town are reluctant to put a cone on a shepherd, saying it makes them go berserk and/or makes them cause damage around the house. They prefer body suits that look like some weird doggy swimsuits, that come in all sizes and shapes.
Strauss is doing well with the cone? No signs of my vet's horror stories going on at yours? :p

Here a pic of Charlie in his 'swimsuit'. Looked both ridiculous and funny at the same time.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally, Strauss was pretty agitated by it, but it is *absolutely* necessary, as he has an open wound on his ear that must be kept safe. He was also drugged and disoriented, which added to it.

However, once he saw me, and we got his drugged self loaded into my van, he was absolutely fine. He overall does not paw at it, and, as long as he is heavily supervised, he can go around coneless.

He is currently separated from the other dogs.

Last night he was so drugged, he could barely stand up. He was coherent, but unsteady on his feet. If you told him to lie down, he just collapsed in a heap.

At one point, he attempted to get off the couch, and it really did not work out for him (I'll have to share the picture).

Today, he is bright eyed and as big a jerk as he ever was <3 <3 <3 <3. He is resting quietly on the couch (just gave him his Rimadyl pill about 45 minutes ago). He's not stoned anymore, and is wagging his tail heavily when talked to, and overall just being a good dog (as he generally is).

I was going to get him a more comfortable cone, but nobody has the kind I like, and, honestly, he doesn't need it. The one the vet gave him is working just fine, and he's not freaking out about it. Just laying on the couch looking pathetic.

Last night I told some friends he looked like an old Russian woman in a Babushka xD His face is all squished up because they had to put a head wrap on him (to hold the operated on ear in place). He also looks a bit like a Shar Pei presently, LOL.

Love this dog. Such a good patient.

So high last night that he didn't even need his Tramadol.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Glad he's doing well, I personally love the babushka look lol

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That's exactly how my dog looked like. Like he had a gunshot wound to the head and was all wrapped up. He was a pretty miserable looking boy for a while. Just be careful around his ears after its healed, they can still be pretty sensitive.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That blasted **************

He keeps turning upside down :( He's not rubbing his head, he's doing his "stay classy" thing, trying to sleep upside down.

Crap.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Good to hear he's doing fine :) I had to laugh out loud at the babushka dog image in my head :p

Hopefully he'll realize lying upside down isn't working out very well. o_O

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Those cones should be considered lethal weapons! Dogs quickly learn the game of human bowling with those cones on.
Hope the surgery is a success. And no filming your pup while he is stoned to later blackmail him.

to Strauss get well quickly ok.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Strauss's attempt from last night of getting onto the floor. Fail.

And here he is all wrapped up in his babushka

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Aw he looks so sad. I hope he heels quickly.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He just started melting off the couch, and that's as far as he got. I did wait a few seconds, thinking he'd continue on down.

Nope.

And I wish I could tell y'all that I didn't laugh, but I'd be a huge liar. So huge that my pants catching fire could burn down Chicago again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts