Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new two month old Rottweiler with showing some strange behavior when walking on the leash. When we walk him going away from the house he plants his feet, lays downs, pulls, etc...basically not wanting to walk one foot. However, walking back towards the house he walks fine and lots of time walks one to two feet ahead of us.

He does not seem scared to be outside, passing cars even fireworks exploding overhead don't seem to phase him at all. If we take him with us on a car ride, my wife or I will get out of the car two to three blocks from the house and walk the rest of the way home. He has no problem walking in that scenario.

Other times we have lured him, going away from the house, with a stick or something just to get him some distance away from the house so we can continue the walk. Our previous Rottweiler, which we had from nearly the same age until his passing nine years later, who never had any issues like this. As a matter of fact any dog I have ever had never seemed to show this strange type of behavior.

Is this a common thing in dogs or anyone else experienced this? Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Bet he is afraid. It can take a lot for a dog to show overt fear. Balking is showing fear. If you showed a behavior expert videos of his behavior with fireworks and such perhaps he would see signs. Sometimes dogs seem to be ignoring things that terrify them.

A baby dog needs very short walks anyway, try walking him down the driveway and home several times in a row practicing good leash manners. Once that is easy go a few feet further each time in every direction.

My dogs behave better going home too but it's because they have to smell and see everything new that's happened since yesterday. Going home it is old news. Haven't tried the drop off walk!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
He is a baby and he is scared. I am all for socializing but too much too fast can backfire on you. This is an 8 week old PUPPY.

I read an article about someone out socializing their puppy. She was sitting at the bottom of bleachers just working on focus. Her friend with a similar age dog was taking her puppy up and down the bleachers. The puppy would stop, and she would lure him up the bleachers and across. The puppy repeatedly would stop and recover.

In the end, when both these dogs were adults, the one that had been lured onto the bleachers to freeze and recover over and over always had a fear of bleachers while the other puppy that just worked on Focus had no such fears.

Your puppy is a baby and afraid. Don't force the issue. No need for long walks at 8 weeks old. Go to a puppy class instead. A well run puppy class will put you further ahead than pushing your puppy to walk at this young age.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh yes, it is certainly common.

Our first puppy was not interested in walking off our 60x120 property for months after taking her home. She would not want to go even 5 houses away. She would resist the whole way. I think she felt she had everything she needed at home. The only way to walk her on a leash was to take her for a drive, so she did not know where home was, and then walk. Of course, we gave her opportunities, but did not force her to walk when she did not want to. A puppy can get lots of exercise just playing at home. She did out grow that behaviour, and now loves exploring.

You don't need to go on long leashed walks with an 8 week old puppy. Don't force it. Give it time to grow its confidence. Kathyy's tip of practicing leash manners at home is a good one too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts