Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all dog lovers,

i have a male shihtzu, just a year old and a couple of months. we have another older male shihtzu in our home and the younger one is always frisky and wanting to play with the older one. In short he is highly energetic! even when i take him out for walks in the park, he will chase anything that moves! (etc, birds, cats)

however, just coupleof days ago i took him to my friend's house who has 6 dogs at her place. i expected my dog to behave wildy and already warned her in advanced. to my surprise, he only approached the other dogs and that's it! he didn't try to play or "hump" just like he did to my older shih tzu.

could this be because the other 6 dogs are not the same breed as him? or i'm just very confused. i would love it if he can act like this at home, as it will give me a greater peace of mind! rather than trying to separate them apart all the time.

pls anyone help :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps it was made very clear to him in doggie language that he was a guest in the home and that he was to act respectfully (which it sounds like he did) at your friends house.

Could it be that he has the run of the house at your house and is taking over?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is very interesting! i never knew that dogs can behave more respectuflly at other ppl's home. :):)

i just wished that my dog can behave like this at home and not try to hump or go nuts with my older shih tzu, who doesn't have that much energy as the younger one :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
When a single dog walks into a house full of dogs (a clearly defined pack) the single dog can respond in a respectful manner, which is what it sounds like your little guy did. I think it is great. To go over to someone's house and start dominating behaviors around that other group of dogs, imo, would be a bad sign.

Perhaps he will calm down as he gets older and stop being so annoying at home! I think you also have to be on top of him and let him know what behaviour is acceptable at home consistently.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh ok, that makes a lot of sense! thank you so much. :) just wanna tho, how can we stop a dog from humping one another, when they're both male?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Has he been well socialized with other dogs? new places? He may have been hesitent to try and play with new dogs as maybe he is a bit scared of the new situation.

Humping can be fixed easily, just start training, which you should have been correcting from day 1. start training. being 2 males doesnt mean they wont hump. humping is not all about sex and reproducing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i think he is quite well socialized as i do like to take him out for walks. maybe not with other dogs as much, but we have another one at home so i think he's not afraid to see other dogs.

i have been saying NO!! everytime he tries to hump my older dog, but it just keeps on repeating n repeating, up to a stage where i just pissed myself off! haha. :d

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
As for the mounting...I generally try to let the dogs handle it between themselves. For example, if my Mastiff tries to mount my Lab, I'll wait a short period of time to see if my Lab will protest it...if he doesn't then I'll step in and make my Mastiff stop. Even if my Lab does protest it and is unable to...um...get my Mastiff off of him then I will step in and make my Mastiff move on to something else.

Both dogs pick things up pretty fast...they don't really mount each other anymore because if they don't handle it themselves then I will interrupt and redirect them. I don't really care about the mounting in and of itself BUT I don't like my Mastiff doing it to my Lab because my Mastiff weighs significantly more than my Lab and I'm afraid of possible injury to my Lab's hips, etc...

Oh...one thing I've NEVER tolerated is them trying to mount me...Eddie, my Lab, has never even attempted it but my Mastiff has on a few occasions...a sharp toned..."Uallis!" has always stopped him. I think I'm lucky in that regard though because Uallis is very sensitive to tone of voice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts