Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think after a decade I would know everything about Soro...

But I just discovered that he is very afraid of a smoke detector chirp. Not the full on blare if there is real smoke, but the tiny chirp that tells you the device is low on battery. It's so quiet that I didn't even hear it over the sink for the first few minutes I came home and started doing dishes. So I had no idea why Soro was such a mess until I noticed the sound.

Sor grew up in the NYC area, and he has never had any sensitivities to sounds. Blaring ambulances and motorcycles going by, no issues. We've camped and hiked in severe thunderstorms, like feel-the-ground-shake thunder. No issues. He's been to 4th of July parties where fireworks were being set off all around him. No issues. The only time I've seen him recoil at a sound was once, during a race, someone fired off a shotgun to signal the start and this was within 30 ft of us. Sor startled but immediately recovered as we started running.

Actually, the only other time I saw him afraid of sound was last year, the CO detector was low on battery and was chirping. This was a much louder, piercing chirp and it clearly bothered him. It was not associated with anything negative though, and it still boggles me that the sound would phase him at all when so many other sounds have no effect. Still, maybe he was sensitized to it for some odd reason.

I would not describe him as a fearful dog, AT ALL, in general. So to me it is pretty extreme to see him stress panting and full-body shaking, tucked tail, clinging to me, refusing food (WOW!), hunch bodied, or trying to exit the house.... at a tiny smoke detector chirp.

Any thoughts? Old age?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 7 month old is not bothered by the chirping, and Sor had no issues with a dog whistle in the past (I used one very briefly).

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone! Dogs are strange... And even as much as I know, look at me still trying to pigeon hole them into little boxes (ie thinking that not being sound sensitive means having NO issues with sound) :D

I tried to do some CC/DS yesterday. I played a youtube recording of the sound on low. Interestingly, it still bothered Soro! Not to the extent that it did in real life. But tucked tail, refused tossed treats but would eat treats in front of him. I further reduced the volume to barely audible, and he would go after tossed treats after a while. Tail still low and general posture still a little hesitant, but workable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts